BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    High Schooler needs help starting out making biodiesel. Has a kit from duda energy
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Schooler needs help starting out making biodiesel. Has a kit from duda energy
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
One issue is do not add the methoxide (methanol solution) to the oil if the oil is too hot, above say 60 degrees centigrade. Superheating of the methanol could occur and it might come back out of the bottle. I think glass is better to use, rather than a plastic bottle.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it matter if he adds the warm oil to the bottle with the methanol/KOH mixture or should it be the other way around where you add it on top of the oil?

either way works, by adding the oil to the methoxide the reaction can be faster but most of us use a process where the methoxide is added slowly to the oil.

I see by your join date you have been around for awhile. I was not trying to be alarmist in my previous post, the dangers are real!

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it is now separating! Only thing is we transferred it into a glass jar. The pop bottle top started melting in the process and came off.

posted Hide Post
Don't inhale any of it. I hope you held your breath when transferring that to the glass container, especially if it was warm enough to melt plastic! The fumes are really bad news.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes we did and had a vent going and open window. thanks!