BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    High Schooler needs help starting out making biodiesel. Has a kit from duda energy
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Schooler needs help starting out making biodiesel. Has a kit from duda energy
 Login/Join

posted
Any help appreciated ASAP! My son excitedly started his science fair bio diesel making with some used fryer oil and a kit from Duda Diesel. He mixed the potash flakes in the isopropyl alcohol for longer than it should have taken and they still did not dissolve. In the kit he just bought the batteries were corroded in the tester so we are wondering if the kit is old and the flakes or alcohol are not effective anymore?? When he mixed everything up the flakes are on the bottom of the oil-you see them white and there is not separation occurring that we see. It has been 24 hours and he is getting antsy as he is on break and wants to get testing the biodiesel!

posted Hide Post
Potassium hydroxide doesn't dissolve very well in isopropyl alcohol. How much potassium hydroxide did he put into how much isopropyl alcohol? Is there any water in the isopropyl alcohol?

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he has mistaken methanol for IPA. Methanol and KOH are the usual reagents added to waste vege oil to make BD. IPA is used for titration.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulus:
Perhaps he has mistaken methanol for IPA. Methanol and KOH are the usual reagents added to waste vege oil to make BD. IPA is used for titration.
thanks for your reply..as soon as I can get ahold of him I will have him reply..he was doing the titration but for the actual separation he should use the methanol? As you can see I don't know much about this as he is doing it on his own! I will have him respond tomorrow. Do you have a recommended process? He has the titration kit but what else goes into the veg oil besides the methanol and how much? And where do you get methanol? Can you use HEET?

posted Hide Post
Yes, you can use HEET, I think it is a trade name for methanol in USA.
The process will not work if you use potash in ipa, it has to be dissolved in methanol. Here is a link to one of the simplest ways to make biodiesel for newcomers. http://www.make-biodiesel.org/...dr-pepper-style.html

Hope you manage OK, if you get stuck, just post on here, happy christmas.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can use HEET, I think it is a trade name for methanol in USA.
The process will not work if you use potash in ipa, it has to be dissolved in methanol. Here is a link to one of the simplest ways to make biodiesel for newcomers. http://www.make-biodiesel.org/...dr-pepper-style.html

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Others can advise you on HEET, we don't have it here.

Be warned that methanol and Na or K hydroxide mixed together is regarded as extremely toxic - no skin contact, no breathe fumes, no splash eyes. Wash wash wash with water.

Recommended process? How long is a piece of string. Maybe best you start with Tilly's Dr Pepper procedure. Fun and simple.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...5551/m/857600061/p/1

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful to check out the red or yellow HEET, I think they are different.

posted Hide Post
Heet in the yellow bottle is methanol, (which I buy to do my 3/27's), and the red bottle Heet is isopropyl alcohol. Some time in the last couple years though, they put some sort of additive in their isopropyl which gives it a reddish tint. It made me a bit wary of using it for titrations, so I just buy 90% isopropyl alcohol at the drug store.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can recommend a process for your high school student. Dissolve 3.5 grams of potassium hydroxide in 100 millilitres of methanol. Warm 500 millilitres of new vegetable oil to 60 degrees centigrade. Mix the methanol solution with the warm vegetable oil for 30 to 60 minutes. If the mixing is done thoroughly while the liquids are at about 60 degrees centigrade, a separation should occur. So he will get some crude biodiesel. If you succeed in it let us know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WesleyB,

posted Hide Post
All of the information you son needs can be found at this website:

www.Make-Biodiesel.org

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't let your child play with these chemicals unsupervised!!! Kids really don't understand dangerous consequences.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
Don't let your child play with these chemicals unsupervised!!! Kids really don't understand dangerous consequences.

Calm down Biotom! Kid is in High School. Time for him to learn.

GotDzel
Waynesboro, Virginia

gotdzel@gmail.com

Location: Waynesboro, VA | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As little as 10 millilitres of methanol can cause blindness. Breathing it may be as bad as drinking it. Methanol is poison. Injesting methanol should be avoided. The caustic eats holes in the skin.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the links and advice. We will definitely take precautions and do outdoors. This is why I am jumping in here to find out some advice from those that know best! Some of the directions he has seen say to blend it in a glass blender. If he is only doing this a few times do you think it is okay to use a plastic one? Having a hard time finding a glass one for this. Thanks

posted Hide Post
I would be more concerned with the sparks generated by the blender motor. Maybe you could look into this method for small batches. It's how I learned the process when I first got started: http://www.kitchen-biodiesel.com/

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can he use the HEET and KOH? (instead of NAOH?) He is using waste veg oil and will do a titration before that.

posted Hide Post
DO NOT use a blender. Go to the biodiesel link I gave you above: http://www.make-biodiesel.org/ and read how to safely make biodiesel. You are endangering yourself and your kid with your limited understanding of biodiesel.
Science fairs are about education, do that first.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi jodiprchal,

quote:
can he use the HEET and KOH? (instead of NAOH?) He is using waste veg oil and will do a titration before that.

Yes.

All the information you need is on this websitee.

For the easiest method of making boidoeisel you can not beat the World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (pat pend)

For the easiest method of titrating, you can not beat the World Famous Chopstick Titration Technique (pat pend)

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks all..he has read over all of this with me and is going to try the dr pepper method. He will first do his titration and determine the amounts needed. He will heat the oil in one glass container. He has a chemistry type bottle to mix the methanol and KOH. It is a fairly large bottle and it might be easier and safer to use than the plastic pop bottle..? Does it matter if he adds the warm oil to the bottle with the methanol/KOH mixture or should it be the other way around where you add it on top of the oil? We are trying to research this every which way before he starts. Is it okay to use the glass bottle for shaking or why is the pop bottle recommended? Thanks