BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Problem Batch

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem Batch
 Login/Join

posted
I started a batch 170litres of dark oil with a fair amount of food particles in it, titrating at 4
I heated the oil to 60deg C and let stand overnight.The following morning I added 40 ltrs glycerol and circulated for 1hr at 60deg and let it stand overnight.The following morning I started to drain off the glycerol which was very thick (like clotted cream) approximately 20litres then about 20ltres of fairly liquid (I thought glycerol) but I later discovered it was WVO. I pumped the balance 150litres into the processor with the intention of doing a two stage base base.I added 24litres of methanol to 11. gms /ltr KOH 1650 gms. For the 80% base and started processing however after half and hour there was a power cut for half an hour temp dropped to 48 deg. When the power came back on I continued to process at 54 deg for One and a half hrs and let stand overnight.None or very little glycerol dropout did a 27/3 about 50 to 60% unprocessed oil dark and cloudy. I reprocessed wit 6ltrs methanol and 260gm KOH .The bio is a bit more transparent but still dark with very little separation and 30% dropout on 27/3. Can anyone give some advice on the way forward.I don't want to keep on pouring chemicals into this if there is no light at the end of the tunnel.My tanks are 205ltr cone bottom drums with cam lock lids and 3/4 inch vent.Is this vent maybe too big and I'm losing methanol. This is the first problem in two years ,but all my previous oil was better titrating 1 to 2 .
Something else on examining the tank where I treated the oil with glycerol there was 20 litres of thick glycerol still in the tank.20 ltrs of thick glycerol drained out and the thinner oil above went straight the thick glycerol below leaving it behind.I only realised this on opening the lid.Comments on all this and a possible batch fix would be much appreciated.

Location: Kokstad.Kwazulu Natal.South Africa | Registered: June 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
What was your water content? Did you check for water before starting?

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
What type of mixing does your reactor have?

If it is pump mixed, what size and type pump do you use?

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:
What was your water content? Did you check for water before starting?

Hi Murphy
Thank you for your question I did an HTP test no sign of water

Location: Kokstad.Kwazulu Natal.South Africa | Registered: June 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tilly:
What type of mixing does your reactor have?

If it is pump mixed, what size and type pump do you use?[/pumpQUOTE]
Morning Tilly, Thank you for your interest My reactor is pump mixed with a Pedrollo Cp170 centrifugal pump pumping at 160l/min through an eductor(though I'm not sure how effective my eductor is)

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jock:
I did an HTP test no sign of water

I don't know what HTP stands for...

When you did the water test, was it a composite sample or did you just grab some oil from the top of the container?

Your batch needs to be mixed and homogenized in order to get a reliable composite sample or your test results could be thrown way off.

I suspect water.. If you've been doing batches successfully up until now, and if you haven't changed anything or took any shortcuts, than what has changed must be something in the oil. Water would be my fist suspicion.

My next best guess would be foreign object(s) within your mixing circuit causing a partial blockage.

www.MurphysMachines.Com

posted Hide Post
Hi Murphy Sorry a slip of the pen Hot Pan Test . This batch was much darker with way more debris in which I sieved coarsely.This oil was from a chicken outlet and being overused is it not possible that it contained an excess of chicken fat.The sample was a representative I sample.Something I noticed since talking to you,I took a litre and heated it to boiling point and it turned to a clear gel .I don't know what the significance of this is.

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Have you checked to make sure your pump circuit is not blocked?

Clear gel? From a dark oil? That doesn't sound right...

www.MurphysMachines.Com