BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    water wash with salt????

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

water wash with salt????
 Login/Join

posted
I've been having a little trouble with emulsions lately and breaking them with salt water.So the queation I have is: Why not start the wash with salt water? Would this prevent the emulsion? Is this a good idea?
Thanks Tom

Tell me again....Why do I have FOUR jobs??????

posted Hide Post
Tom
-yes you could do that, Many people start the wash with vinigar at the rate of 7ml/ltr of wash water. also you can cut down on the emulsion problem by cutting back on the amount of water you use per wash,I use 2% for the first wash and 5% for each wash after that. you will require more washes, but they are easy and can be repeated every hour. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help Tom. I have just started doing water washes. I had allways used my dry wash system but ended up with some soap in my fuel that caused quite a problem. So i am using a water wash then dry wash. Fuel has been great. Just got to get the hang of the water wash without emulsions. I'll try your suggestion on my next batch!!!
Tom

posted Hide Post
Soap emulsions are primarily caused by excessive glycerine getting into the wash cycle. This can happen using a "dry wash" system as well if the biodiesel is not properly demethed first. Both stem from the same source.

This is why I use a dedicated settling drum quipped with a standpipe and follow that up with a demething drum also equipped with a standpipe. The first allows for biodiesel to be drained off the top leaving the glycerine behind and the second allows for settling out of whatever residual glycerine was left in the fuel after demething it.

The only time I had any trouble with soaps is when I got switched from well to city water which was super softened, but since usig resin purification combined with the method above I have not had an issue with it. I final filter using a 2 micron CAT fuel filter.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I did the salt wash on the first wash and it worked fine. Had no trouble with emulsions. Was the clearest looking fuel made so far.