BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    i GOT A HUGE PROBLEMS BROS PLEASE HELP

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

i GOT A HUGE PROBLEMS BROS PLEASE HELP
 Login/Join

posted
i found a empty garden to make bio but its too far to my house.
i can do biodiesel at the weekend but i cant do the water wash 7 times. Because the biodiesel book i god says i have to wait 8 hours at least for each single wash. if i go my garden 7 times it would be verry expenive ?
İ am gonna use it on passat 2008 so it has to be really clear please help

posted Hide Post
heeeeeelp

posted Hide Post
Hi mustafa.
I would buy the book that says not to water wash.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read that saw dust or wood chips may be used to dry wash biodiesel.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could move.

(It's not clear how we are supposed to help with something that is geographically inconvenient for you. But the posts are endlessly amusing.)

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
You make the biodiesel. Remove the glycerine layer. Remove excess methanol from the crude biodiesel. Allow the material to settle out that will. Put wood chips into the biodiesel to allow soaps to adsorb onto the wood chips. Filter out the wood chips and you get pretty good biodiesel. Then test for soap content of the product. This is a short version of a type of dry washing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WesleyB,

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Its fairly common to have to use a biodiesel washing method that doesn't involve water. In your case its because its inconvenient to have to wait for the water to settle out, in mine it was just that there was no way to HAVE a stead supply of water in my biodiesel shed, especially in winter.

Search out Dry Washing, as others have suggested.

The technique I utilize was one covered originally by Graham Laming; its on-par with what WeslyB says.

You make the biodiesel and allow to settle.
Remove the glycerine layer.
Remove excess methanol from the crude biodiesel with spraying and bubbling, sometimes heat, too.
The soap that forms makes a floating mat; skim it off.
Then filter out the little soap chunks that didn't float, down to 1um.

You get pretty good biodiesel this way, too.
I don't regularly test for soap content anymore (dropped and broke jar of indicator, never bought more), but when I did back-in-the-day to convince myself the technique was good-enough it came out to 80-100ppm, if I recall correctly.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ryan P

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan P.:
Its fairly common to have to use a biodiesel washing method that doesn't involve water...
Remove excess methanol from the crude biodiesel with spraying and bubbling...
What besides water do people spray with?

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post