BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    The oil absorbs water from the Air?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The oil absorbs water from the Air?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, the oil I dry it in a fryer. And then I put it in a metal bucket to cool it. If I leave the oil for a day or several days, can the oil absorb water from the atmosphere?Thank

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
If the air is humid, it can absorb water from the air.

Did you filter the oil before heating it?

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello RickDaTech, the oil filter it before heating it

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Psicro,

Oil that has been filtered, then heated up then allowed to cool slowly causes the water to drop to the bottom of the container. Covering your bucket with something that will slow down cooling and prevent convection currents will help the water to settle out.

It's the basis of the drying method used in this article:
http://www.make-biodiesel.org/...and-settle-tank.html

It is one of many methods used to dry oil. There are other methods that may work better, but you already have a fryer that can be used to heat oil.

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post