BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Yay, I ahve an Appleseed

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yay, I ahve an Appleseed
 Login/Join

posted
A friend found it on Craislist and brought it home for me- water heater, cone bottom tank, heavy pummp, little giant transfer pump. It's dirty and nasty. The hoses are all petrified and need to be replaced.

The guy stopped using it a few years ago but Given the drawing he provided (with proper drafting symbols) I'm thinking it was pretty well designed.

Are there any specific tips to resurrecting a processor that's been dormant for a couple years?

Also, the tank is 66 gallons. That's more than I want to make at one time until I know what I'm doing.

Any problem with making 20 gallon batches in such a big tank? (with the liquid level above the element)

thanks

Clueless and curios about bio diesel

posted Hide Post
Replace the hoses that look bad.

Check over any other hose clamps for tightness (and double up any singles; redundant hose clamps are smart where they must be used).

Anywhere you can, blow the pipes out just to make sure they don't have obstructions.

Check the pump to make sure its not gummed up with petrified oil; if you plug it in briefly and it doesn't scream at you or make a humming and no spinning noise, its probably good.

Check that the heating element is not open or shorted. It should have a fixed resistance value, probably something in the 10 Ohm range. Filling the tank and THEN finding the heating element is bad would be crappy.

Otherwise I would just load it and let the first batch of warm oil dissolve and clean anything out. Might be some crusty oil in the bottom and fitting corners, maybe some mold here and there or surface rust, but that will all settle out with the glycerin during the first batch. Smile

As far as doing smaller batches, you have to do enough to not just cover the element but KEEP it covered while mixing, so if you determine the element is at the 20gal level, better shoot for 25 or 30 anyway to be safer. I'd just stick with 1L batches using a hot plate until you are confident, then take the plunge and run a big batch.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you typically leave the heater powered on during processing? I thought it was heated to 130F and then gained additional heat from the reaction.

I was thinking I might use the heater to heat the oil and then transfer 10 gallons at a time to drink cooler and process smaller batches

posted Hide Post
Not necessarily, but you do want to keep the oil moving while you heat it, so it will be splashing around from the pump running.

Yeah, if you don't have a hotplate, that could work. Heat a bunch and draw off a little at a time to do test batches. Be safe, though. Hot oil and all, volatile methanol, be mindfully of fumes. Smile

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking I would heat a bunch in the water heater, like 40 gallons or so, while circulating it with the pump then cut out the heater and move 8 gallons of heated oil to my drink cooler.

AM i understanding this correctly- the max temp is 140F at which methanol boils off?

If i heat the oil to 138F or so and then move it to an insulated vessel it should stay above 130 for two hours of mixing.

But hours of reading do not make up for minutes of experience so please correct me if I'm wrong.

posted Hide Post
quote:
AM i understanding this correctly- the max temp is 140F at which methanol boils off?

Methanol boils at 145F, but when its in solution with the oil its not that clear cut; the boiling point will be raised some.

Probably easier to give examples than get into the molecular chemistry. Smile

Pour methanol into 135F oil, mix it, then heat that oil to just over 145F and nothing boils.

Pour methanol into 145F oil and most of the methanol will boil as soon as it hits the oil.

posted Hide Post
Ok, so numbers are wrong my the thought process is sound, right?

posted Hide Post
Yep; I'm just saying you don't need to be freaked out about temperature control inside an Appleseed. Its not a tight upper limit, like the methanol will all boil out and vent if you overshoot the goal of 135-140F by a few degrees. Smile

posted Hide Post
I routinely process at between 155~160F with out any meaningful amount of methanol boiling off. When I add the 300 litres or so of methoxide and the temperature of the oil is 160F usually about half a litre or so boils out into my collection container. The warmer the batch the shorter the mixing time needed.
I think your safest bet would be to just go for a full batch in the appleseed. Considering the risks involved with transferring the hot oil and processing in a plastic drink cooler...
I would also recommend a float switch so the heater cant come on without being covered. You can get them dirt cheap on ebay, also Murphy on here has a nice write up on how to build a simple one intended for appleseeds.
Good luck!
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you add a float switch to a water heater?

I do have sight glass.

posted Hide Post

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post