BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    jerricans anyone?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jerricans anyone?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for some solid metal 20L NATO Jerricans NOS that have the old style cap... I have 1 that is still solid as a tank but apparently they banned the production of the old caps as they were better at preventing leaks but were not child proof, now considering that I both use my truck off road and have no kids it would be folly of me to waste my time with these new plastic cans
just wondering if anyone knows where to get them as NOS...
I only need 1 or 2 more...

oh also if they're yellow! even better, as the yellow cans were originally designated for Diesel Fuel... I could stencil a recycling symbol or something on it...

posted Hide Post
Did you check Google? I googled buy NATO jerry can NOS and got over 7000 sites.

posted Hide Post
You might check out the new NATO Scepter 20L plastic cans. They are every bit as tough as the old metal ones, same dimensions and won't rust. I've seen a video of a guy running over one of these plastic cans and then putting fuel in it - no leaks. Try that with a metal can. They are built to a pretty rugged MILSPEC. Lots of them available on eBay.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Military surplus dealers should have the Nato cans. I assume by "Nato" you mean the ones that have the flip open lid with a short spout, these seal air tight, tight enough that I store E85 in them, this style can should be available, but if you mean the realy old WWII ones with the screw-on lid, not so much, these don't seal well anyway. I find both types at my local salvage yard occasionally, have collected 25 so far but I usually have to patch pinhole leaks in these.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah I meant the newerish flip-top lids they made up till about 2000
and not that I have anything against plastic, but I would prefer to have it match my current can...

the other big problem... I live in Pa... and it seems like no one will ship these to Pa or any of the surrounding states...
what gives? I looked on the PenDOT site and found nothing on fuel canisters other than that you can't use glass...
anyone know whats up?

posted Hide Post
oh also what do you use to wash out used cans? I kept gasoline in my can and when I switch to diesel I don't want any contaminate...
soap and water?
isopropyl alcohol?
just water?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironic-Sobriquet:
oh also what do you use to wash out used cans? I kept gasoline in my can and when I switch to diesel I don't want any contaminate...
soap and water?
isopropyl alcohol?
just water?

Just empty the gas out and fill it up with diesel. A few drops of gas aren't going to contaminate the diesel fuel. If you're irrationally paranoid, you could always leave it open a few days to evaporate out, or blow it out with an air compressor, etc. You definitely don't want to deal with soap and water -- those could contaminate your fuel. The residual gasoline will just burn.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
does the same go for kero?
but thank you for the assurance...
it all gets kind of daunting especially while I'm still in college and I need the car to get to class and work... and have only a few days out of the week that I can squeeze a few hours to work on anything personal, so I'm a little paranoid about killing my truck...
thanks again

posted Hide Post
PA Has MANY surplus mil equipment dealers, do a general web search for "military surplus PA" or similar and you will likely find several within driving distance.

Gerry can at Coleman's surplus Millersburg, PA.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post