BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    How Do You Dispose Of Your Glycerin?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do You Dispose Of Your Glycerin?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have a local dairy farm that takes it in their manure pond. It's like a spit in the ocean in that big pond, and it is bio degradable.
They also take the dregs from my WVO.

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many of you are using demethed glycerol to clean your toilets, tubs and showers?
If not, why not?

This is the simplest way to get people using it.

Warm the glycerol and add water to get the desired consistency.

No further processing required.

Let settle and cool then decant the clear top layer into squeeze containers.

I use recycled dish detergent bottles. I give them to my friends.

label:
Non-Toxic, Biodegradable Tub - Toilet - Shower Cleaner.
made from recycled vegetable oil

It's kid safe, no more toxic than shampoo. Kids love to clean bathroom fixtures.

Non-Toxic Pet Safe antifreeze....? 66% solution with water starts to gel at about -40 already buffered basic for home heating systems or solar collectors. Also good for winterizing RV and cabin plumbing. Better thermal storage than masonry 3/4 as good as water and won't freeze till -40 good thermal mass and heat transfer fluid.

Think of glycerol byproduct as a resource not a 'waste product' to 'dispose'.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that demethed glycerol is a different bird. But I believe that most homebrewers dont demeth. This is an advanced topic (de-mething). Not unattainable but none the less something you come into down the line after you learn how to make good fuel and it worked in your machine. "Responsible Disposal" is a topic you come up against pretty soon after you learn your homebrew works in your machine. Its like the second topic after fuel quality.

In the meantime the "Glycerol Cocktail" i.e. the chemical glycerine, soaps, oil , and water, and of course methanol (up to 25%) is present. And according to the Penn State issued "Best Practices Manual", "methanol laden " glycerol is considered 'hazardous waste and should be considered handeling methanol, which is a known chemical causing "...impact on human health and other
organisms."

GoldenIsles

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GoldenIsles,

posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that most homebrewers dont demeth. This is an advanced topic (de-mething).

Not really advanced at all. You should already be pretreating the feedstock "WVO" with raw glycerol from the last batch. This has significant advantages for processing and removes the excess caustic and some of the methanol from the glycerol.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...=754103574#754103574
The rest of the methanol will evaporate from the glycerol drained from pretreatment. Use low heat and the methanol vapors must be vented out or best done outdoors. It's easy to do in a DHW tank BD reactor which should already be vented outside. The only 'advanced' part is the optional addition of a condensing column to recover the methanol vapor.

It's easy to de-meth glycerol, so there's no real excuse for a BD home-brewer not to be using it themselves. That's being as responsible as using safe 'disposal' methods.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Not really advanced at all. You should already be pretreating the feedstock "WVO" with raw glycerol from the last batch.
I use NaOH. By the morning following the reaction the glycerine is a hard lump in the bottom of the drum. I do not think tossing a lump of glycerine in my WVO will accomplish much.
quote:
The rest of the methanol will evaporate from the glycerol drained from pretreatment. Use low heat and the methanol vapors must be vented out or best done outdoors. It's easy to do in a DHW tank BD reactor which should already be vented outside.
What is a DHW tank Biodiesel reactor? I do not think I have one. I certainly do not have the facilities or the inclination to apply heat to glycerine containing large amounts of methanol.
quote:
It's easy to de-meth glycerol, so there's no real excuse for a BD home-brewer not to be using it themselves.
If your whole life revolves around using every scrap of alternate energy sources you can locate and you have the equipment.
quote:
That's being as responsible as using safe 'disposal' methods.
Some people have a life.

posted Hide Post
Making biomethanol from the crude glycerin:

since a pair of years ago it exists a small processor to manufacture methanol 90-95% from the glycerol. The first step separates salts and FFA's with acid as usual, and the second step performs an hydrogenolysis at relative low pressure. The result is reusable methanol and poliglycols to burn.

It is offered in www.savoiapower.com/biodiesel.html

Location: argentina | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't have my lab notebook with me right now. I used pure medical grade glycerol to make glyceryl triacetate, which is worth more than glycerol and can be sold if it's pure enough. I don't recall what glyceryl triacetate is good for. It can be made by refluxing glacial acetic acid (99%+) and a little concentrated sulfuric acid in catalytic quantity with anhydrous (without water) glycerol. That produces glycerol triacetate plus water. The scary part is boiling the acid or the very hot acid, what if it splatters? That would be an unpleasant eventuality to be close to.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Wesley:

By using acetic acid, it is possible to treat the crude gycerine and turn all it in 100% cattle feed.

The BD2-G processor was designed to perform this job. Can be seen here: www.savoiapower.com/biodiesel.html

Regards

Carlos

Location: argentina | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post