BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    New Processing Method?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Processing Method?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
one of our wvo suppliers had started filtering their oil to make it last longer and we didnt know about it until 2 batches were made using this T 19 oil that was not titrated at the time. those 2 batches caused concern that something in the process was not right.

to get a complete conversion this is what was done on 56 gal(212 lt) wvo.

1st stage
9 gal methanol and 1100 gr koh(5.2gr/lt)
ck 45/5 test and got 4ml fallout... only 1 ml of conversion
drained approx 5 gal off bottom what normally would be glycerin (was brown color)

2nd stage
2 gal methanol and 600 gr koh
ck 45/5 and got 1ml fallout... 4ml conversion
drained glycerin

3rd stage
2 gal methanol and 296 gr koh
ck 45/5 and no fallout... 5ml conversion out of 5

so that adds up to 13 gallon methanol (23%) and 1996 gr koh (9.5 gr/lt total)

started with 56 gal wvo and finished with 51 gal biodiesel
dean

Location: central Illinois | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taralec:
When you say it didn't work,do you mean a) No separation or b) lousy conversion on 27/3.
Also have you tried pretreating with glyc as a pre process step?
Trying to understand why it is not working for you,do you know what your oil typically titrates at?
I mean it did not separate. No I do not do a pre process. I use Caustic soda and my glycerine goes solid.
My oil titrates between 4 and 5.
For the last year I have used the 80/20 methd with good success.
I have tried this titrationless method twice and both times there was no separation and I have had to add more Caustic soda and methanol to the reactor to get separation.
I have an appleseed and I can tell you that both times I held my breath in fear that my reactor would end up full of glug.
Now I know what the problem was and I will continue to use the 80/20 method.

Thank you