BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Need help with a problem batch

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a problem batch
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all. I started a 180ltr batch using no titration 2 stage process.I used 1460 gms KOH and 36ltrs methanol.I mixed for 1.5 hrs at 52degC and on checking to do a 27/3 test the mix was a dirty brown with little transparency so I continued for a further 60mins with little improvement. Due to time constraints I left it overnight but the following morning the glycerol appears oily as though it hasn't completed. The WVO had a few bubbles when doing the HPT so there was some water but not much.Can anyone suggest a fix

Location: Kokstad.Kwazulu Natal.South Africa | Registered: June 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jock,

quote:
Originally posted by Jock:
Hi all. I started a 180ltr batch using no titration 2 stage process.I used 1460 gms KOH and 36ltrs methanol.I mixed for 1.5 hrs at 52degC and on checking to do a 27/3 test the mix was a dirty brown with little transparency so I continued for a further 60mins with little improvement. Due to time constraints I left it overnight but the following morning the glycerol appears oily as though it hasn't completed. The WVO had a few bubbles when doing the HPT so there was some water but not much.Can anyone suggest a fix
No titration= try to guess how much chemicals to use and hope for the best. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

1460g KOH is about 8.1g KOH per litre WVO
36 litres of methanol is 200ml methanol per litre WVO
How did you arrive at these amounts of chemicals to use in the first stage?

It sounds like you have some separation of glycerine in the morning.
Did you do another 3/27 test?

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The WVO had a few bubbles when doing the HPT so there was some water

water carried caustic to the soap making process you should pass the hot pan test before the transesterfication you will end up with more biodiesel and less soap. To recover this batch do a reprocess. Do the 3/27 and follow Imakes formula to determine how much caustic you will need. although the drop out is not a representation 1-1 of conversion the measure can be reliably used to make the required chemical determination for the next stage.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah as Tom said the water has robbed some of the KOH, you will need to add more, Did you get glyc separating well from the bio? Did you do the 3/27 test in the morning?

1991 Transit Tipper
1991 Mercedes 709D

http://www.wastevegoildacorum.co.uk

The Biodiesel wiki
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki

Location: S.E. England | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post