BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    who can tell me what is wrong??? pictures....

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
who can tell me what is wrong??? pictures....
 Login/Join

posted
From left to right.

1)this jug is some finished product and i just mixed water with it to see if it would seperate

2)this jug i took out of the top of my little open top 16 gallon processor... the top color is the color i get when i have mist washed the 10 gal batch 3 times(i just put this jug in the top of the processor and filled it 1/2 full then i misted a small amount of water through it...you can make it out on the bottom if you look close)

3)this jug i also filled from the top of my processor after mist washing 3 times also...i then just shot water in it with the hose and then bubble washed it for about 18 hrs.

4)the little measuring cup on top is from the exact same batch that i mist washed 3 times but this i heated to aprox 125C.(the balance of this measuring cup is in jug #1) After it cools i notice there are some tiny floaties in the bottom of it.

Why are there so many different colors from the same batch?

How can i tell which is really processed properly and which is not?

Also i have left the balance of the 10 gallon batch i mist washed 3 times sitting outside (with all the water drained from the bottom )on hot days with a screen over the top but it never turns any darker than jug number 2....but if i heat up to 125-150 C it goes clear and stays that way just like the little measuring cup in the picture.

Is this how bio diesel is suppose to act? or am i doing something wrong?

My titration was 6g of lye /liter

Oil amount was 10 gallons which i boiled off all the water before processing

Methanol was 2 gallons.

Imagebio.JPG (56 Kb, 178 downloads)

posted Hide Post
...Perhaps if you used clear, GLASS jars it might be easier for us to 'see' what you've got... And the pics are a bit on the grainy side which is'nt helping...

For a good finishing mist wash the spray should gently touch the surface, not savagely assault it!
When the water that collects under the biodiesel is clear, then its properly washed, needing only final settling-out / drying to take it from hazy to crystal clear.

With bubble-washing, the bd becomes clear when its fully washed, presuming the bubbles are'nt too violent...

cheers

Location: Wheatbelt, Western Australia | Registered: June 24, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Your right .... me bad....i will put up a better picture later.
the last one was way to big this is way to bad.

posted Hide Post
Off topic. Just noticed you are not too far away. I am in Dillwyn Va.
Jason Gnatowsky

Location: Dillwyn,va.,usa | Registered: February 26, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
although I have limited experience with washing, what you've described seems to make sense to me. Jug #3 (on the right) looks to be the darkest fuel. doesn't sound like a good thing at first, because the biodiesel should look light and clear.

When I saw that almost black color in my washing tank, I thought something was wrong, but then I noticed I could actually see the little bubbles going through the tank. (with my washing setup, that's about 6 inches of oil I'm looking through before the bubbles. Just out of curiosity, I put a flashlight behind the fuel, and it was amazingly transparent. I could literally read a newspaper through 2 feet of fuel and a plastic tank.

What I'm getting at, is that maybe you should try putting a light behind each of your Jugs and see what it looks like. It wouldn't suprise me if #3 looks the best. and since you did the most washing on that batch, everything makes sense.

I might be wrong, but give it a try.
Good luck

1986 vw jetta 2 tank SVO conversion
1992 vw golf 2 tank SVO conversion
1998 2500 12 valve Cummins diesel with 2 tank SVO conversion
Making biodiesel in the back yard and running WVO in the vehicles with 2 tanks

Location: Burk's Falls, Ontario, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I get "dark biodiesel" all the time, so I wouldn't worry. Like the rest here, I can't see a whole bunch from the pics, but I'd guess it's just different levels of water in the BD.

My BD goes from dark, dark amber after processing, to an almost orange juice looking liquid while washing, to a dark amber color after washing. Wash, settle, and give it a day or so in the sun and it might be fine.

I agree with vwpickup that you should shine light through it to see what you have.

Location: Iowa City, IA USA | Registered: September 26, 2003Report This Post