BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Clear hose for BD

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clear hose for BD
 Login/Join

posted
Who has the best price for clear 3/4 hose?
Thanks

Rageous
Colorado Springs, CO

Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
McMASTER-CARR
Its called abrasion resistant clear Tygothane polyurethane Tubing. Rated for biodiesel. I have been ussing it for a wile now with very good results. No sweating, It wont get brittle-break-or rot. stays clear. Do not use with water. Water will make it brittle,break and rot.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THIS stuff is supposed to be good to go too. MFG site. Apparently its the ether based poly thats good to go, it doesn't have any plasticizer like clear PVC that the biodiesel leeches out leaving the hose brittle...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, that Tygothane tubing is very very good. I have it, but I no longer use it. Be aware that that tubing will crack (well the inner Tygothone part will) when exposed to water. I do not know what percentage of water in the bio that will cause this problem, but I had used this stuff in the plumbing in my processor and some previous batch of bio which had some excess water from an earlier %5 wash was in there, the inner lining of the tubing cracked.

Two Tubing choices I like and use.
This Tube is my favoirte. Downside is that it is not very flexible AND you need these compression fittings.. Good news is nothings seems to hurt it and it can take very high temps. Also its only translucent, not clear, but you can certainly see flow throw it and as you become more experienced with it, you can judge what inside Oil/Glyc/Bio/MthOx.

A second tubing choice I like is this fuel and lubricant tubing. This version is not rated for biodiesel, but so far I have little problems with it. They do have another one that is Tygone based, see both here but I am unsure if it suffers from the same issues of the top mentions tubing. Also, be very aware that the issue with both versions of this tubing is that it does not resist heat well and becomes very soft near its high point. I don't think it will melt on you or deform, but as it softens, it could easily see it slither off a barb fitting and a worm clamp. happened to me. They have stuff that also is a Tygon version but its so expensive and I am not sure if it suffers from the same problem as that first bit of tubing. So I only used this tubing a transfer hose so it isn't exposed to heat for a long time nor under a lot of use.

Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post