BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Titration

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Titration
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys new to the forum and need some advice. I used to burn svo in a Perkins powered Mazda b2200
that I installed a diesel into then built my own two tank system and ran it for 3 years until a encounter with a large deer!!
anyways I am having a go now at biodiesel and am learning a lot but still got tons to learn!!
my question is on titration I see distilled water or deionized water can be used, just picked up some deionized water in 4 litre jug at Canadian Tire but see it contains a bittering agent
can I USE it??for my titrations

Location: nova scotia | Registered: April 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Volvoveg,
I would not use water containing bittering agent.
Rain water or most tap/ Faucet water will work just fine.

For the easiest method of titrating you can not beat the world famous Chopstick titration technique (Pat Pend)

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange that the deionised water had a bittering agent in it, are you sure it's not the alcohol with the bittering agent?
I have always used RO water from my drinking water tap.
Tillys instructions work great, I would recommend the turmeric over the phenolphthalein described in his instructions, its easier to obtain and non toxic.
For doing the 3/27 conversion test you can buy "methyl hydrate" at Canadian Tire, its actually pure methanol, its what I use for my 3/27 tests rather than the production methanol out of the drum.
I used to have a 1984 B2200 gasser, it was great till it rotted apart... Wink
welcome to the forum and Good luck!
cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys and thanks for the advice, yes I will have to give the chop stick method a go!!
yes the de iodized water did indeed contain a bittering agent. I see it on occasion in pre mixed anti freeze to discourage pets/animals drinking it, but was surprised myself to see it in water
cheers Sheldon

Location: nova scotia | Registered: April 13, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post