BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Settling v filtering

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Settling v filtering
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have a view regarding whether settling finished biodiesel is any less effective than filtering?

I ask because I have never filtered my finished bio. I pump it into a 200litre holding tank after desoaping and drying and then after a few days I pump it into my car from the top of the tank. I've never had any problems doing this, and the (very fine) filter on my Ford Focus lasts in excess of 20k between changes.

The only drawback to this method would be if any particles that are lighter than the bio itself are held in suspension. These wouldn't settle, but as I say, I've had no problems over the 80k miles I've done on bio to date.

Regards

David

England

Location: Leeds, UK | Registered: April 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morning David,
My process is very similar to yours, but I centrifuge the final product. I opened the centrifuge last week after it had done roughly 760 litres of bio from the last 4 batches. It was totally clean inside.

It is a No5 size which runs at 100psi and produces 4000g running at 8500rpm.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morning to you Dave,

I remember you saying that you had previously obtained a white waxy deposit when centrifuging. Was that bio that you had de soaped by settling rather than water washing? I gather that the consensus is that aggressive water washing removes almost all of the stuff we need to get rid of.

Kind regards

David

Location: Leeds, UK | Registered: April 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really got the centrifuge to finish the bio when just de-methed and settled. When doing this method it certainly does remove amounts of glycerol/soap

Ideally the bio needs to be left around 2 weeks before centrifuging. This method does work and I'm sure settling bio for very long periods like several months gives a product as good as water washing with one drawback, the monoglycerides are still present.

posted Hide Post
So if the mono-glycerides are still present, is this a problem?
With WVO, they are all burnt in the combustion process, I imagine that they would also be burnt in the combustion process when using biodiesel, so what is the issue?

Regards,
Tony

posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,
I take your point but for fuel in a common rail diesels, WVO is not generally used. I try to make my fuel as pure as possible so I prefer to remove the mono's. The finished fuel has far less hygroscopic quality's without them present.

There is also the ASTM specification which is a max of 4000ppm.