BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Galvanised Iron reaction tanks.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galvanised Iron reaction tanks.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys ,

I'm making new reactions tanks of 1000 litres each and am using galvanized iron sheets of 3 mm thickness.Will there be any problems.Will be using stainless steel for plumbing.

Also I wanted to know if I reinforce the tank from the inside is there still a possibility of it collapsing?I want to recover methanol and use the GL eco method.How much vacuum would you recommend I use.The tanks will be sealed at the top with a flange.

How well does the Gl eco method work if I used KOH

Dimentions of cylinder
2.4 metres height excluding cone

0.8 metres diameter.

3 mm thickness galvanized iron sheet.

Dimensions of cone.

0.75 metres height

0.8 metres diameter.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I don't expect that many of the forum members have specific experience or chemistry knowledge on this one.

At a guess the zinc is not a good idea for reasons outlined in the following two links: http://www.meritnation.com/ask...nd-equations/2703944 and http://chemistry.stackexchange...s-zn-react-with-naoh. Hydrogen gas is a by-product.

There is also the possibility that zinc may react with the methoxide ion, but that would take more research.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
An archive search gave this:
http://www.biodieseldiscussion...highlight=galvanized

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys.I was able to send the GI sheets back.Using mild steel as stainless steel is out of my budget.

posted Hide Post
Hi Clayton,

From experiance I don't think your new tank would stand up to any amount of vacuum really well.

I have a much smaller 400 litre 'grundy' tank, a ss tank with dished top and bottom. Anything over -5psi would start to see the sides implode.

I used it as a methanol recovery still and had to monitor the vacuum very carefully.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked up former posts and see you are in India.

Some of the guys here have had amazing results using old LPG vessels, real big ones, which give good capacity and withstand hard vacuum.

How easy are they to find in India? There's a bit of engineering required.

How did you get on with the cellulosic dry washing?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulus:
Looked up former posts and see you are in India.

Some of the guys here have had amazing results using old LPG vessels, real big ones, which give good capacity and withstand hard vacuum.

How easy are they to find in India? There's a bit of engineering required.

How did you get on with the cellulosic dry washing?

Hi Paulus,

I think I'll be able to find the LPG tanks if I make a trip to Bombay,I'll need atleast 1000L tanks.The only problem is fitting it in to my budget as I still have to buy centrifuges and storage tanks.

The cellulosic washing went pretty well.No problems with the fuel.The wood that I initially used was dark and its resins leeched into the fuel and settled over time.This only happened when the wood was new.After that I switched to a white wood which I was able to get my hands on and I never had the problem again.

Thanks for your help.

posted Hide Post
I calculated the approximate surface area of the tank you described. I got about 8.1 meters square in total surface area. The atmosphere exerts pressure on things exposed to it about 14.696 pounds per square inch. A pound is about 454 grams. That's 6.671 kilograms per square inch. There are 2.54 centimeters per square inch. I don't usually calculate these types of things in metric, but if there were a perfect vacuum inside your proposed container size and shape, the atmosphere would exert 83,754 kilograms of pressure onto the surface of your container, equal pressure on every square centimeter. For each 1 millimeter drop in atmospheric pressure below 760 millimeters of pressure (atmospheric pressure at sea level) you would be putting 110 kilograms of force directed inwards with the force distributed evenly on every square centimeter of the surface. Using a inexpensive diaphram vacuum pump I salvaged from a trash pile, I demeth my biodiesel at about 300 millimeters above zero(perfect vaccuum). If you demethed your liquid at 300 millimeters, above zero pressure then you would be putting about 50,600 kilograms of pressure against the outside of your container, pushing in and evenly distributed on every square centimeter of the surface of your container. I expect your container would be crushed, but I'm not sure. I am not a mechanical engineer educated in designing vessels of a specific strength.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A great little free app for all types of conversions. Simple installation. I have been using this for years. Windows only though:

https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post