BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    How do I make glycerol solidify?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I make glycerol solidify?
 Login/Join

posted
I have read discussions that mention making fire logs out of used glycerol. While my glycerol will solidify at cooler temperatures, it is still a thick semi-liquid slop at room temperature. Is there something I can add to it to make it harden at higher temperatures? I am planning on stuffing milk cartons with finely shredded paper and pouring the glycerol in with it.

Location: Winnipeg, MB | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you removed the methanol? That should make it firm up.

Norman

Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, glycerol from an NaOH batch will generally be firmer than that from a KOH batch. Not sure what caustic you are using, but switching to NaOH will give you more solid byproduct.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
methanol is what makes it burn. If you let the glycerin sit for awhile some of the methanol will evaporate out making it firmer, make sure its in a well ventilated area.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNorman:
Have you removed the methanol? That should make it firm up.

I have used it as a prerinse for the next batch, which should have transfered some of the methanol to the oil, but I haven't formally boiled off the methanol. I'll give this a try.

Location: Winnipeg, MB | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some demethed koh byproduct, it is slightly more solid than grease at room temp. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If it's NaOH glyc then once the methanol has gone it will set solid, I cant remember who, but someone who does WBD drains their glyc into a drum conatining sawdust and when it solidifies cuts it up into smaller sizes and wraps the chunks in newspaper ready for burning.

1991 Transit Tipper
1991 Mercedes 709D

http://www.wastevegoildacorum.co.uk

The Biodiesel wiki
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki

Location: S.E. England | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chug:
If it's NaOH glyc then once the methanol has gone it will set solid, I cant remember who, but someone who does WBD drains their glyc into a drum conatining sawdust and when it solidifies cuts it up into smaller sizes and wraps the chunks in newspaper ready for burning.

Thats a great idea, I have thought about using a cement mixer for this purpose and then pouring it out into cardboard cartons before it hardens but that is just adding more time to my production... Razz
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glycerin melts at about 18C, the solid mass we get at higher temps is caused by dissolved lye and soap. Water and methanol lower the freezing point quite dramatically. I think the sawdust idea might be a cheap solution.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post