BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Biodiesel stabilizer

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel stabilizer
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

First, thanks to the forum and the forum members who helped me make my first steps into biodiesel.

I know this topic comes up here and there but hopefully there is some more knowledge by now. I am looking for a proved biodiesel stabilizer and preferably one that is combined with a biocide.

The reason for this is that it is much easier for me to make biodiesel during hot and dry weather (much less energy and effort) and then store enough of it for the winter use. Besides, from what I understand a stabilizer additive helps reduce oxidation while exposed to the heat of the engine and fuel system.
I cant find any locally so I will have to import it. Checked in Amazon , the two main brands are STA-BIL and FPPF both are suppose to be efficient on Biodiesel as well. Any comments on those two?
Any other?

Another unrelated question: Should I cancel the EGR on a 99 VW while using biodiesl?

Thanks!

YTK

posted Hide Post
Hi ytk,

quote:
Originally posted by ytk:
I know this topic comes up here and there but hopefully there is some more knowledge by now. I am looking for a proved biodiesel stabilizer and preferably one that is combined with a biocide.

The reason for this is that it is much easier for me to make biodiesel during hot and dry weather (much less energy and effort) and then store enough of it for the winter use.
YTK
I only make biodiesel once a year for the exct reason you give.
I am presently running on biodiesel that I made about 14 months ago.
The only "stabalizer" i use is to store the biodiesel in full sealed airtight 205 litre metal drums.
I do not water wash my biodiesel.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tilly,

Thanks for the quick reply, Do you wash at all?

YTK

posted Hide Post
Hi ytk,

I bubble air through it and let it sit for a couple of days in an open-top drum before sealing it up into storage.
I imagine there is still some methanol remaining in the biodiesel when I put it into storage.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tilly,

So you are not worried about soap content and its affects on the fuel system?

Thanks,

YTK

posted Hide Post
Hi ytk,

I find that now that I no longer water-wash, my inline throwaway fuel filter lasts considerably longer than when I water-washed.

My normal procedure is to pump the biodiesel out of the 205 litre drum into 20 litre pails where they will often sit for a few weeks before a finally 1 micron filtering into the car. During this time in the 20 litre pails the top is only covered but not sealed.
There is usually a further small amount of glycerine settle out to the bottom of the pail during this time.

I have never had anything more than a clogged fuel filter go wrong and the last one of those would have been 5 or 7 years ago.

posted Hide Post
Hi ytk,
Many of of us dont use water to wash and have not had any ill effects, the trick is to get out the methanol which in turn allows the soap to settle out.
I have never water washed. I followed Graham Laming's lead on this when I started making bio.
http://www.graham-laming.com/bd/main.htm
Cheers,
Jon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jon Heron,

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the trick is to get out the methanol which in turn allows the methanol to settle out.[/quote]

Something wrong here Jon. Smile

Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post