BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    new to making diesel questions!

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new to making diesel questions!
 Login/Join

posted
hey all i am new to making biodiesel..
have been gathering information and material will hopefully start brewing my first batch when i get enough used oils in the next week or two.. i just have some question that maybe people can clear for me..
1- i have been studing about tiration techinques and most websites i read give different data.. but the most common i read was number of Liters x (5grm plus tritation ml results).. so if ineeded 2ml of solution to ph balance my oil to 8.5 and i wanted to make say 50L of biodiesel i would need then 50x (5gr +2 = 7) 350grm of NaOh? is this what most people do?

2- also for the amounts of methanol.. i read also contrasting amounts... i read from 250ml x L so 2.5L per 10L i also read people using only 2L meth per 10L Oil .. or 20L for every 100L oil... i would make 50L biodiesel.. so would i need 10L or 12L methanol? is it a problem to go over or under? i guess i with 10L i can easly fill a kanister but for 12L then i would need to buy more then i would have odd amounts left overs...

3- was with the timings... i read people saying the need only 24 for the methonal /Lye to brew its way through biodiesel.. also read people needed 3 to 4 days.. even up to weeks! what are your experiances?

4- and finally.. was with the glycerin left overs.. in videos ive seen the glycerin comes out like a syrup.. but others texts i read they said it can solidfy in the vat.. what are peoples experiances with this using of course NaOh as a catalist?
thanks for anyhelp
cheers
-J

posted Hide Post
Hi fotorebelion, welcome to the forum.

quote:
Originally posted by fotorebelion:
1- i have been studing about tiration techinques and most websites i read give different data.. but the most common i read was number of Liters x (5grm plus tritation ml results).. so if ineeded 2ml of solution to ph balance my oil to 8.5 and i wanted to make say 50L of biodiesel i would need then 50x (5gr +2 = 7) 350grm of NaOh? is this what most people do?
If you are using NaOH this is correct. This amount of Caustic has been shown to likely produce high conversion biodiesel in a single stage reaction.
If you are using KOH then many people will use 8g KOH+ titration per litre of WVO being reacted.

quote:
2- also for the amounts of methanol.. i read also contrasting amounts... i read from 250ml x L so 2.5L per 10L i also read people using only 2L meth per 10L Oil .. or 20L for every 100L oil... i would make 50L biodiesel.. so would i need 10L or 12L methanol? is it a problem to go over or under? i guess i with 10L i can easly fill a kanister but for 12L then i would need to buy more then i would have odd amounts left overs...
Many people use 200ml methanol per litre of WVO being reacted.
Using more methanol or caustic in the reaction (within reason) will help push the reaction further along and some people do use more than 200ml methanol and more than the above mentioned caustic to insure high conversion biodiesel in a single stage reaction.

quote:
3- was with the timings... i read people saying the need only 24 for the methonal /Lye to brew its way through biodiesel.. also read people needed 3 to 4 days.. even up to weeks! what are your experiances?
There are many variables in reaction time including but not limited to temperature, mixing vigor, titration of the oil, amount of chemicals used etc.
The "rule of thumb" most people work to is that with an adequately designed reactor, at 50deg C the reaction should take about an hour.
If it is cooler the reaction will take longer and if it is warmer it will take less time.
These are just approximates that have developed.

quote:
4- and finally.. was with the glycerin left overs.. in videos ive seen the glycerin comes out like a syrup.. but others texts i read they said it can solidfy in the vat.. what are peoples experiances with this using of course NaOh as a catalist?
NaOH will make solid byproduct/ "glycerine". How fast the "glycerine" goes solid depends on temperature, oil titration, amount of methanol used, tune playing on the radio and etc.
Glycerine/ soap made using KOH remains liquid and many people now use KOH instead of NaOH for this reason

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post