BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Anyone uses Fass Fuel System?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone uses Fass Fuel System?
 Login/Join

posted
As the title stated, anyone here uses Fass Fuel System with their biodiesel setup?

posted Hide Post
When the in-tank fuel pump failed on my 2005 Dodge Cummings I put a Fass Fuel System on it.

A few things I have observed over the years:

1 - The blue jacketed fuel line that they supply with the kit is advertised as "biodiesel compatible". It isn't and will turn gummy in a year or so. I replaced mine with this from Utah Biodiesel Supply. Not cheap but it seems to work well.

2 - As soon as the weather starts to turn cold the filters will plug faster than a New York minute. It seems that the pump pumps full volume from the tank, through the filters and back into the tank. A regulator keeps the line going to the engine pressurized with about 15 lbs of pressure.

This poor full-flow design means that any wax crystals starting to form in the fuel will very quickly end up in the filters and plug them. In my opinion it would have been better to place the filters in the line going to the engine where the flow is much slower. Fass claims that the purpose of the filters is to remove the air in the fuel and moving the filters to the line going to the engine would prevent the air from being removed.

I think Fass's claims about the quantities and effects of air bubbles in the fuel flow of a typical pickup trucks fuel system are in military terms - Bravo Sierra.

I replaced the Fass filters with filters from NAPA that had larger micron ratings and connected the fuel line from the Fass filter to the stock Dodge fuel filter (which is heated) instead of directly to the common-rail pump as Fass instructs. Even with this set-up I make sure I switch back to regular diesel well before cold weather sets in.

3 - The 75 watt heater accessory that Fass sells for their filter is worthless. The flow of raw fuel through the filters and back to the tank is so fast and of sufficient volume that the little 75 watt pencil-sized element does almost nothing. You are essentially trying to warm up all the fuel in your tank with this little heater. Your filters will long be plugged with gelled fuel before the fuel temperature rises any significant amount. I added a couple of filter heaters from Wolverine and it helps a bit. The best advice is the same as above - switch back to regular diesel before it gets too cold.

Otherwise, the pump works fine. I think it is way overpriced for what it does and all the flaws I've had to correct.