BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Biodiesel catalyst

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel catalyst
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone,

I've heard that regular non-leaded petrol can be used as a catalyst
in making biodiesel. Is this true? And if so how does it compare with
other substances?

2 x Land Rover 110 w/200tdi ('88-'90), Ford Fiesta 1.8 diesel ('96), Ford Transit n/a 2.5 diesel ('00), (they should all run well on veggie, and I plan to find out!).

Location: Co. Mayo, Ireland | Registered: May 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unleaded can be used to thin biodiesel in very cold temps to stop waxing.Not aware of any recipie to make biodiesel using unleaded as the catalyst.

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a video up on youtube from a Top Gear episode where the guy just pours 15% petrol in the veg-oil and lets it settle with or without stiring, then fires up a diesel car (Volvo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFbsaNeZps

Is this for real or just more Jeremy Clarkson BS?

2 x Land Rover 110 w/200tdi ('88-'90), Ford Fiesta 1.8 diesel ('96), Ford Transit n/a 2.5 diesel ('00), (they should all run well on veggie, and I plan to find out!).

Location: Co. Mayo, Ireland | Registered: May 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like just another take on blending to me.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the "white spirits" really thin out the veg oil? If so, translating English to English what would white spirits be in the US?

Location: Iowa | Registered: April 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Quiet Dan:
Does the "white spirits" really thin out the veg oil? If so, translating English to English what would white spirits be in the US?

White spirits is sold in the UK as a cheaper alternative to turpentine (turps)for paint brush cleaner-I think it is similar to paraffin(which I think is kerosene over your side of pond).How well it thins veg,I don't know.Most of my friends who run veg just thin with unleaded.hth

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bogman:
There is a video up on youtube from a Top Gear episode where the guy just pours 15% petrol in the veg-oil and lets it settle with or without stiring, then fires up a diesel car (Volvo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFbsaNeZps

Is this for real or just more Jeremy Clarkson BS?

What you are seeing there is veg oil thinned with unleaded to make a biofuel,it is not biodiesel.
Veg oil thinned with unleaded is real,but must be dewatered and filtered (if using used oil)first prior to adding the unleaded,and is only suitable for certain injection pumps.

posted Hide Post
I "assume" older mechanical pumps are the certain pumps.

He was saying 3 ml per 100 ml. or 3% unleaded to oil ratio, that seems a little low from what I have read from other posts here.

Location: Iowa | Registered: April 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post