BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Building a $500 WVO filtering system

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a $500 WVO filtering system
 Login/Join

posted
I am from Australia (Down-Under),

I searched this forum, but could not find anyone showing people how to build a simple 2 micron WVO filtering system for under $500!

I am a novice, but have been told may storeys by people using WVO as Fuel in there vehicles.
I want to use WVO to run my 4X4WD and Forklift also.

I have built a collection system that all fits in an oversized X-Military radio box that can be easily transported.

I purchased Diesel pump kit on ebay, and converted it several times as the fittings & holes were to large a diameter, and were crap Chinese hoses that were way to stiff, making it difficult to pack-up and handle.

So, I replaced with re-enforced garden hoses, as it made no scene to use such big bulky hoses, as the 12v pump does not do Hi-volume filtering when is draws through a 2 micron, water blocking Marine filter & housing.

I have only tested my filtering system using reasonably clean Cotton seed oil from a silver service Greek Restaurant.

I initially only used/mixed the filtered WVO with Hydraulic oil in my old beast of a forklift, as it is a little thicker that the dam expensive oil, it actually substantially slowed down the leak from a worn mast seal, and obviously would do less damage leaking into the ground than Petrochemical oil with all the additives.

My Main question is: Can I simply filter the WVO down to 2 micron and use it to totally replace S/Station Diesel, ...or at least mix in 50/50 ?

PS: It never freezes over here.

posted Hide Post
Hi Madog,
Welcome to the forum.
quote:
Originally posted by Madog:
I am from Australia (Down-Under),
I searched this forum, but could not find anyone showing people how to build a simple 2 micron WVO filtering system for under $500!
Wow- $500!!!
I could build one for under $20.00- the cost of a 2 micron bag/sock filter.
In fact that is what I did last summer, I mixed 1/3 well settled WVO with 2/3 biodiesel, ran it through my 0.5 micron bag filter and used it in my Twin Dragons Rhinoceros.

quote:
My Main question is: Can I simply filter the WVO down to 2 micron and use it to totally replace S/Station Diesel, ...or at least mix in 50/50 ?
yes to the 50/50

quote:
PS: It never freezes over here.
It freezes here in sunny Paradise Queensland. In fact it is forecast to freeze here tonight.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
here is another low cost filtration system that was discussed on this forum a while back. It's not as inexpensive as Tilly's, but also well under $500

Cold Upflow Settling

The picture calls for a 5 micron filter, but you can put in a two micron filter if you like.

If you search on cold upflow filtering, you should get a number of very opinionated threads on the system.

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G,day Madog hows it going ? Im from Aussie also , just south of the GoldCoast near Murwillumbah . Just experimenting filtering used oil and veg oil etc What do you use as pre-filters to get the big stuff out and get down to the say 15micron range ? Heard of peole using old bed sheets , jeans , even sand :-)

posted Hide Post
When I worked as a fry cook for Long John Silver's fish & chips in Texas we used a machine specially built to filter about 5 gallons at a time though a paper filter. Magnesol a solid powder was added to the vegetable oil then a pump circulated the oil, filtering out the magnesol and other impurities. Magnesol is magnesium silicate powder made in Dallas, Texas. It removes free fatty acids and other impurities.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post