BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    glycerine pretreat question?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

glycerine pretreat question?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Tom, Its just semantics... You were mostly right! Razz
I just took a reading on some solid demethed NAoH glycerin with a quality Fluke 87 meter @ 380~Kilo-ohms with the probes about 1/8" apart. Strait demethed biodiesel came in at infinity, no conductivity with the same gap...
I picked up the parts today to build a variation of GL's dipstick that will have the probes fixed in my new reactor's drain, it will sound an alarm when the resistance drops indicating the end of the glycerin...
If it works I will post about it here.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very intersting indeed! Just to clarify: I checked for resistance with the probes 3/4 of an inch apart and got no reading. I will check again with the probes set closer.

Tell me again....Why do I have FOUR jobs??????

posted Hide Post
YES I'm almost right ,I'm almost right, I'm almost right Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Mofarmer
-sorry if I hijacked your thread! I tried using a muti meter, with ohms range 200 - 2000K even at 1/16 of an inch there is no reading. I think the way to go here is with the probe that Jon is talking about. One of the two pails of byproduct I drained yesterday has 1/2 inch of bio on top the other has zero. funny thing, the one with the bio is the first pail I drained, that was when the reading droped to 0.05 mS/cm, at that point I was spilling biodiesel! Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the battery in your meter, a weak battery may not have the juice to complete the circuit.
If you had a reading of 1.6 micro siemens/cm in your glycerin you can figure out what the resistance is.
*Disclaimer* I am an electrician not mathematician! Big Grin
They are inverse so the formula should be 1/(mS/cm) = megohms/cm So 1/1.6 = .625megohm/cm or 625 kilo-ohm per centimetre. So I would say my solid NAoH glycerin is not far off of the conductivity of your glycerin if I am getting 380 kilo-ohm per ~1/8" roughly compared to your reading of 625 Kilo-Ohm per cm...
I will have to find my EC meter to confirm... Confused Big Grin

Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon
-this is getting more interesting all the time! I'm starting to see the whole picture! Big Grin Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I threw together GL's circuit and it works great, even without the trim pot. At least on demethed glycerin and bio, I dont have any fresh stuff to try it on.
For you AE guys who have a hard time telling when your into the good stuff when draining I would recommend this simple little circuit! I used a relay on mine to trigger a buzzer once the probes are into the biodiesel instead of just having the light go out now I will be able to listen for the beep or even trigger a solenoid or whatever...
Tom, Check your PM's once and awhile eh! Wink
Jon

posted Hide Post
I would really like some more detailed information on how to make one of these sensing electrodes and the circuit necessary to make it work. If one of you guys doing this could pm that would be great! Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Graham Laming made a nice paper on his design HERE.
I posted a couple of pics over HERE of what I have so far with mine. I still have to throw it in a project box to make it look pretty but it works great. The true test will be when I run a batch past it and see how well it works in action, but I am confident it will work great. I made 3 of them, I owed a couple of favours and made a trade with 2 guys on this board who will likely get to try it out before me. I will start another thread once they are completed...
Its a simple design and the parts are cheap, I already had most of what I needed to put these together on the shelf...
Jon