BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Biodiesel from enzymes

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel from enzymes
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings all,

I wanted to fund out if any of you have used lipase enzymes like the much talked about Eversa Transform from Novozymes. I have a 25l container and am about to commence a trial esterification but was hoping for some experience from the forum.

Location: Lusaka, Zambia | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi africa_biodiesel, how did you go with these Eversa Transform from Novozymes? I'm looking at purchasing some enzymes too and would like to see if any home brewers have good results with them. Did you run it in a single batch reactor or did you do it in series to achieve a high conversion?

posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have had wonderful results with Eversa. The slow reaction time can be a bit of a bother but they do the job. I don't see the benefit of using enzymes on SVO or oil with less than 5% ffa since chemical conversion will do the trick in an hour. Low value degraded oils work out more cost effective. 3 main things to keep a very close eye on:
1. Methanol dosing at the specified rate. 1.5 molar equivalents over 10 hours so a dosing or metering pump is neceasary.
2. Mixing speed must be low. High sheer will destroy the fragile enzymes.
3. Temperature at no more than 40C (104F).

With regard to their reusability I found low value oils with high ffa separated into 3 relatively distinct layers (albeit after more than a day) of biodiesel, enzyme and glycerol.

In SVO however, the enzyme retains much of its 'power' but is dissolved in the glycerol so since separation is not feasible reusing the enzymes with the glycerol is the only way.

My conclusion is that high ffa oil makes the cost of enzymes more affordable, provides for a quicker overall reaction time and facilitates better collection and re use of the enzyme over SVO.

Location: Lusaka, Zambia | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These enzymes are so interesting. What form are they in when you get them? Is it like a powder or beads? Just wondering how best to mix without damaging them. Do you have an impeller or are you using a sparger?

I have been doing some reading into ultrasonic mixers that can speed up the reaction time using enzymes. Thinking how to build an ultrasonic tank......

posted Hide Post
The bead linked-enzyme from TransBiodiesel is a better formulation since the enzyme can be screened out and reused.
It seems it could easily be used in our typical biodiesel setup with a little modification.
They do not answer my inquiries for "test amounts" and I haven't found anyway to get a small amount. They want to sell tons worth.
But chemical costs wise it is comparable to base trans-esterification by their accounts.
Please continue to update us on your process. Where were you able to get a small amount of enzyme?
Sooty

Location: Saint Paul, MN. | Registered: September 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post