BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Emulsions

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emulsions
 Login/Join

posted
Can biodiesel that has been thoroughly washed, be emulsified by one more final wash using the hose nozzel set on full jet???? Frown

I misted, bubbled, 4 times. The BD sat for 3 months over the last water fill. Water perfectly clear, no soap line between the BD / water phase.

A couple of weeks ago, I took a sample from the top, and froze then thawed it in a mason jar. After thawing it, it was perfectly clear again, but after setting over night, it had a little bit of dark liquid on the bottom. It looked like glycerin. ?????? This BD passed the 27/3 test perfectly when I made it 3 months ago.

Now last weekend, I tried to wash it one more time, and that brings us back to the emulsion mentioned at the top.

Any ideas?

IROCK5

Location: Somewhere in the swamp... | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IROKCJ5
-I’m wondering if you are experiencing some degradation of the biodiesel at the oil /water interface, since 80+% of biodiesel will decompose on water in 28 days, I believe this is one of the reasons that biodiesel is not considered a hazardous material.
-can't see how this could be byproduct since the batch has been fully washed. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I didn't know that would happen. I think this batch may become weed killer, as I don't want to take a chance in my powerstroke.

What could have been the dark matter after freezing/thawing.... It looked like a tiny amount of glyc, do you think that is what is was? I don't understand since it passed 27/3 test while processing. Even after it passed, I continued circulating in processor for another 2 hours or so just to be sure.

I'm going to have to make some more this weekend, hopefully next batch will go right. I can't wait to build another processor and get rid of the appleseed and wash drum.

irokcj5

Location: Somewhere in the swamp... | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
-I really don’t think it is byproduct simply because you have completed the full wash cycle. I’m not sure what the decay process entails, I do know, that biodiesel that passes 3/27, if left for a year ( I’m saying a year because I have samples that old), fail 3/27 today, and I’m not sure why other than it has something to do with decay also. Maybe I should ask the chemist, I wonder if he will know Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post