BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    How I blasted a nasty emulsion into clear separation in 30 seconds

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How I blasted a nasty emulsion into clear separation in 30 seconds
 Login/Join

posted
I'm sure that some of you will frown on this but I'm posting it anyway.

I've got very very soft water where I live so water washing is a pain.

I regularly get nasty emulsions even in the 4th and 5th wash. I'm dumping in hot water and mixing with a drill and paddle to stir aggressively.

I've done this twice now. I've got some muriatic acid laying around that I bought at Lowe's. It's cheap. I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of hot tap water and spiked it with a very small amount of the muriatic acid. I dumped it onto a nasty looking emulsion, stirred with the drill and BOOM! It separated instantly.

Location: Little Elm, TX | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pwr.
-ya it works, so does sulfuric acid and the one I use vinigar at the rate of 7ml/ltr of wash water. For sure soft water can be a pain, but the emulsions can be minamized by reducing the amount of water you use in each wash. since I started doing the 5% wash for each wash, I have not had 1 emulsion. Warning: it will take more washes, but a complete wash cycle is only one hr, (pump washing) Pump for two minutes and settle, drain , repeat. Two minute wash is for a 160ltr batch. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 5% pre-wash took care of my immulsion problems. Wouldn't think of not doing it now.

If you've got room in your reactor, I'd give pre-washing a try.

posted Hide Post
When I ended up with super softened water I was happy to move over to resin purification. That said though, heavy salt works wonders as well (but then, like acid, you have to wash it out).

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My next upgrade is to oak shaving drywash. I just need a design that I can build. I'll be starting with 55 gallon drum.

Location: Little Elm, TX | Registered: December 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that if you fill a 55 gallon barrel about 1/2 full of hardwood shavings and sprinkle the biodiesel over the top of the shavings and slowly release the biodiesel out one of the bungs with a ball valve adjusted to a trickle that you would probably be near ready for the tank. This method is so easy that even a caveman can do it. Eek

I prefer to allow the biodiesel to settle via gravity and time prior to the shavings.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post