BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    Noob question!?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noob question!?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all!
Just tried to make my first batch of biodiesel... It is used palm oil from a vegan bio fast food restaurant in my neighbourhood.. (Can even bike to get the supplies).. OK so it seems good I only need 1.5g + from the titration test. The only problem is that oils was very hardened and I had to meltmit back to liquid. I made a 1L test with 200ml methanol and NAOH this morning around 10am.. It is now about 8pm and it seems like since some hours the separation has stopped.. There is a redish liquid (biodiesel?) On top and black gunck at the bottom (glycerin?) My only concern is that there is apparently less then a liter on top.. Is it normal not to get back your initial amount? Also is it normal for it to be so fast? I have seen on websites needing one day up to several days..mine was done in a few hours.. Let me know what you think

posted Hide Post
Hi fotorebelion,

quote:
Originally posted by fotorebelion:
My only concern is that there is apparently less then a liter on top.. Is it normal not to get back your initial amount?
Yes, it is normal not to "get back" your initial amount.
With WVO titrating around 1.5 you should get over 95% "yield"

quote:
Also is it normal for it to be so fast? I have seen on websites needing one day up to several days..mine was done in a few hours.. Let me know what you think
You did a 1 litre batch.
What you have experienced is normal.
How did you mix the batch and how long did you mix for?

Provided your reactor is of a sound design and you are doing the reaction around 50C (This temperature is not critical, it just takes longer if the temperature is cooler) the reaction will be finished in about an hour.
The vast majority of the glycerine will be settled out in another half hour or so.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK thanks now that it over nighted.. I measured out the results.. Theoretically I should have like 1l diesel and 200ml glycerin but I got like 800ml diesel and like 400 glycerin.. Is it normal to have twice as much more then expected glycerin?

posted Hide Post
Hi fotorebelion,
Your glycerol amount isn't normal, it should be be roughly the same amount of added methanol, but not double.

Palm oil (because of it's higher melting point) can contain high amounts of water, maybe this is the problem.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Water in the WVO is a major problem as it causes soap to form. Soap and water and methanol and incompletely converted WVO are all polar molecules that like to hang around together and trap BD so the separation is incomplete.

Rick's site has a lot of good information. http://www.make-biodiesel.org/

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok thanks.. i will try again