BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Biodiesel    prepping wood chips for soap removal

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

prepping wood chips for soap removal
 Login/Join

posted
OK. I've got my wood chip filtration tanks all ready to go. i'm off to get wood chips shortly, but i've got a few questions on how to prep the chips.

Per RolfQuo "We would run methanol through there first to remove any resins from the wood or whatnot and the procedure is pretty easy; you fill up the drum and run methanol through basically until it runs clear. At first it runs yellow, and sometimes even a little red. Once it runs clear you put maybe another 200Lt's through just to be sure you got all the resins out. And then you force that out with at least 200 to 600Lt's of finished biodiesel through it. You can use the methanol in a new batch and the biodiesel is reprocessed So nothing is wasted."

1 - once i get the red or yellow methanol out, can i directly add NaOH to it for my next batch, or do i need to re-distill it? if i need to re-distill, shoudl i mix it with post-processed fuel or glycerin?

2 - for reprocessing the biodiesel, do i need to do a full process with catayst? or can i just send it into my processor and recalim methanol out of it? hmmm. my procesor is currentryl full with oil. coudl i instead just send it to my bubbling tank to bubble off all the methanol?

3 - i only have about 40 gallons of methanol right now. can i just keep running that through the wood chips over and over until it doesn't change any more? i dont have any more contianers to hold methanol right now even if i wanted to get some...

thanks
doug

Location: Dayton OH | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
also, i'm not having a lot of luck finding chips. hardwood chips, kiln dried, right? all the caninet shops in my area have a mix of particel board, pressboard, and softwoods in with the hardwoods. my undersntading is that kiln dried is necessary so green woodchips from a tree mucher won't work. suggestions pls?

Location: Dayton OH | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas:
also, i'm not having a lot of luck finding chips. hardwood chips, kiln dried, right? all the caninet shops in my area have a mix of particel board, pressboard, and softwoods in with the hardwoods. my undersntading is that kiln dried is necessary so green woodchips from a tree mucher won't work. suggestions pls?

Ammish wood workers?, I am sure they still use real wood...

Location: Winnipeg, MB | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so i found an out-o-the-way shop that only had hardwoods. i now have 2 drums full. can i pls get answers to the chip prep quesitons i asked above?
thx

posted Hide Post
I did not prep mine with methanol. Just ran BD through it. 55 gallon drum of oak chips. About 50 gallons of BD run through it before real use. (BD was added to next batch for reprocess). HTH

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Joe's method is good. Or if you want to know how a commercial outfit did theirs read the interview in my sig line for RolfQuo.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
To clarify a few things here (and yes I know its a old post): is the resin removed into the glycerin layer when the fuel is reprocessed? If the resins are not then it would seem counterintuitive to using biodiesel to prep wood chips as the biodiesel will now have resin in them.

Prepping with methanol would make more sense then as the methanol can be distilled (with the the glycerine) to leave the resin behind.

Thoughts???

Thanks.

Thor.

Location: Edmonton | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From reading the quote in the first post I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you run a large quantity of methanol through which does the resin removal. Then, biodiesel is run through to remove the methanol that is left over. That biodiesel is then reprocessed so none is wasted.

Hopefully I interpreted that correctly.