BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Bio Brewers Bar and Grill  Hop To Forums  Bio Brewers Bar and Grill    Cold Fusion, a reality ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold Fusion, a reality ?
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.naturalnews.com/032...enewable_energy.html

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen an article in both Popular Science and Popular Mechanics lately. And those mag's are usually pretty strict about the whole "perpetual motion" area of science. They'll print about any other wild whim, but fusion and perpetual motion machines...

So to see them reporting on it again; that was something for the soundness of the new research results.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be brilliant if its true-nice find

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cold fusion is not really magical, even though it could very well have a miraculous effect on our future. It is a relatively simple chemical reaction that produces excess heat, meaning that if the reaction occurs in water, it will increase the temperature of the water. Powdered nickel fuels the reaction. You put in nickel (one of the most plentiful metals on the planet), and you get heated water.

After that point, almost every mechanic in the world would be able to take it from there. Steam engines heat water with coal, then using the expansive properties of the steam to power turbines. A cold fusion device would use the same basic mechanical devices, but it would heat the water through the consumption of nickel rather than combustion.

So, this so called 'cold fusion' reactor is just a nickle fueled heat machine.
Nickle does not grow on trees, or occur naturally. It must be mined and refined, and that takes a lot of energy.

I could easily heat water with metallic sodium as the fuel, is that 'cold fusion' too?

From well to wheel, using petroleum oil fuel to make oilseed feedstock for biodiesel has at least a 3:1 EROI, using CNG to fuel the cultivation and transport, gets it to at least 4:1.

I doubt if this 'nickle-eating cold fusion' can do as well.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, cold fusion of hydrogen and nickel produces copper, so its not "consumption" of nickel so much as the conversion of one mineral resource into another with heat output and the resulting energy production.

So copper mining can be offset by the additional nickel mining, and nickel is one of the most abundant resources on the planet (they say in the article). Nickel is at $10.50/lb about now and copper is at $4.26/lb, so the energy production better at least cover that value difference. And if it starts up at any large scale that difference is only going to increase due to supply-and-demand.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Can someone explain to me where the "Fusion" is in this nickle in water thing?

Please look up Fission and Fusion and explain to me where the fusion is in this...

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
How long has the cold fusion dream been going on now?

Whether it can be done or not it totally and utterly irrelevant.
The world super powers would never let an easy clean endless energy source to get in the hands of the 3rd world countries and upset the balance of world power. It's the availability of energy that makes the super powers what they are.

If suddenly a couple of Billion people have access to abundant, easy to generate energy to be able to start manufacturing and building their weapons and equipping massive armies then the world balance of power will change and the powers that be now are going to do everything they can not to let that happen. There is a reason why America wages wars over oil now under different guises, Imagine if the whole ball of wax was at stake.

For the foreseeable future and while ever the superpowers control the energy reserves of the world, things like cold fusion will always be a dream rather than any sort of reality.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:
Can someone explain to me where the "Fusion" is in this nickle in water thing?

Please look up Fission and Fusion and explain to me where the fusion is in this...

Me thinks it's labeled 'fusion' because of the presence of Helium in the beaker/test-tube. Helium is a 'noble' gas, much like gold, it does not chemically react to other elements. So the only way to produce Helium is to 'fuse' two hydrogen atoms, with the extras/left-overs from the process being heat/radiation. According the orthodox physics/chemistry, it's impossible!.

Eugene Franklin Mallove had a falling out with MIT over their 'debunking' effort directed towards the 'cold fusion' guys in Utah in the late 80s (coincidentally, the Exxon Valdez ran aground just 24hrs before their historic announcement).

According to wiki: "Eugene Mallove held a BS (1969) and MS degree (1970) in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from MIT and a ScD degree (1975) in environmental health sciences from Harvard University. He had worked for technology engineering firms such as Hughes Research Laboratories, the Analytic Science Corporation, and MIT's Lincoln Laboratory, and he consulted in research and development of new energies.

Mallove taught science journalism at MIT and Boston University and was chief science writer at MIT's news office, a position he left as part of a dispute with the school over cold fusion."

Oh BTW, he had an untimely death, in my opinion 'silenced'.