BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Cold Weather Biodiesel    HMPEs back to liquid ?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HMPEs back to liquid ?
 Login/Join

posted
I gave some bio last year to a friend to use in his bobcat. he left some in an aluminum tank all winter and now seems to be having problems with it. the bobcat and farm tractor plugging filters.

does the HMPEs go back to liquid state when the temps are back up to 70 - 90F? He wanted to know if I could reprocess this bio because he added diesel into it. Also does storing bio in aluminum have any effect as he said he can see specs of something floating on top?

thanks
Dean

Location: central Illinois | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
does the HMPEs go back to liquid state when the temps are back up to 70 - 90F?

yes the HMPEs will melt back into solution, however the soaps and glycerol that dropped out when it froze will stay as sediment and clog filters and screens.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks John and Ronny.

it didn't take long to figure out what happened after he brought the tank over for me to look at it. the problem is water entering the tank. took a sample from the top and using my plastic hand pump took a sample from the bottom. top was very clear and bottom very cloudy.

planning on putting this 47 gallons in my processor to let settle a few days, drain any water that settles out. then heat it to about 150f and transfer to an open barrel and run the bubbler thru it when the humidity is low. need to make one of IMB turbo driers when I get time!

Dean

Location: central Illinois | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post