BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Cold Weather Biodiesel    Couple questions about running bio in the cold

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple questions about running bio in the cold
 Login/Join

posted
I have been burning SVO for a few years now in a 2 tank system in my 01 PSD. I found a guy who is making bio but is having trouble finding oil so we traded some 2 for 1. So I am starting & stopping on bio. Only been doing this for a couple weeks. I could probably run b100 but it going down to around 5c the last couple nights so I am running b80.

First question is about cloud point. When my bio starts to cloud is that the point when I need to start mixing in D2 or by the time bio clouds I am too late & my truck probably won't start?

Second question is about precipitants falling out of bio in cold temps?? From the little bit of reading I have done about this it seems like something I should be concerned about. When will these precipitants start falling out? At the cloud point? Before it clouds?? What's the best way to filter out these precipitants? I have read a bit about cold upflow & using chilled wood chips but for the amount bio I am going to burn in the winter anything but a very simple setup for cold filtering is probably not worth it for me. Can I just put the bio in a fridge for example & then pump it through a spin on filter & get these precipitants out?

Thanks for any help.

2001 f-350 ext cab 7.3. 04/10 DIY check valve system. 20 plate FPHE,Fass HPFP set at 70 PSI, TIH, Davco 322 filter head with 10 micron spin on filter,150 micron prefilter, Hydraforce purge valve, 60 liter poly tank with hotfox, ss braided hose to heads,, oil temp, pressure & fuel gauges.

Location: Nova Scotia. | Registered: July 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep the biodiesel 'B-50' mix in a 30 gallon barrel outside in the cold. Fuel is pumped through a 5 micron 'whole house water filter' into the vehicle tank. Any HMPEs settle out when it gets cold enough for them to solidify. The barrel pump inlet is about 6" off the bottom of the barrel so the semi-solid settled 'stuff' doesn't get sucked into the pump. I've been using this simple set-up for many years and tens of thousands of trouble free bio-fuel miles.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info John. I have the biodiesel stored in cubies. If I just let the bio settle in the cubies & the just pour off the top when it gets cold out would that accomplish the same thing?

2001 f-350 ext cab 7.3. 04/10 DIY check valve system. 20 plate FPHE,Fass HPFP set at 70 PSI, TIH, Davco 322 filter head with 10 micron spin on filter,150 micron prefilter, Hydraforce purge valve, 60 liter poly tank with hotfox, ss braided hose to heads,, oil temp, pressure & fuel gauges.

Location: Nova Scotia. | Registered: July 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would probably work OK.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post