BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Cold Weather Biodiesel    cold filted with shavings?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cold filted with shavings?
 Login/Join

posted
I was riding around in the truck today It was 94f out, and I got to thinking about what I'm going to do this winter. I've done lots of reading about using urea/methanol, and might try that, but I'd like to know if anyone who is using drywash with wood shavings for soaps has tried to do any cold filtering using shavings to get out the gelled up portion of the bio?

I know the samples we have played with this past winter seem to have a whiteish layer that seems to stay after the bio rises above it's gel point. could this just be settled or filtered while cold to depress the overall gel point?

as is, our B100 clouds up at about 18F, and is pretty much gel at 12f. We can get to aobut 5F with 20% kerosene. I need to be trouble free down to about -10F any colder than that, and I'll just stay in.

All of our current space is heated, but if someone has made this work, I'll build something to filter in the winter months.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cold filtering/settling biodiesel and VO is a good idea for winter where it gets cold.

The simplest solution is to place the finished fuel mix in a barrel outside and always pump from the clear fuel at the top of the barrel.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted to put a tank, and filter setup in an unheated area and give this a try on finished fuel. Even if I have to set up a urea setup, maybe this cold filter step would help cut down on how much you would have to put with the fuel to get lower. I've never seen it get below -20 here, so If I could find a place to test down to that temp, that would be good enough.

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post