BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Cold Weather Biodiesel    Kerosene blends for storage, add diesel for lower temps?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kerosene blends for storage, add diesel for lower temps?
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a large stock of B100 made for the winter. I plan to mix it to B70 with kerosene to store in the garage. According to the Duffs link for biodiesel mixes, this will keep the fuel flowing to at least 10F, so this should be good for storing in my unheated garage. Last winter I had a drum of B100 that froze and I couldn't use it until spring.

But my vehicles sit outside, and I want more protection than 10F for the occasional cold snap. I know I can improve it more by adding more kerosene, but it's expensive at $5 a gallon. How much additional cold protection can I expect by tank mixing additional pump diesel (assumed to be winterized for Colorado) ?? Usually I've not had any issues with B20 even below zero with winterized pump diesel, but maybe I only have to dilute my B70 (K) to B40 or B30?

Any experiences with this type of blending? I'd rather not gel up this winter; I gelled my CRD last winter - what a pain replacing the fuel filter in below zero weather...

http://www.duffscience.com/bd_calculators.htm

http://www.make-biodiesel.org/...cle&id=81&Itemid=103

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are you in Colorado? I'm from there myself.

I have experience with blending fuels and guaranteeing that they operate at certain temperatures.

Drop me a line to discuss.

Location: CO, CA, KS, or FL | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make up different sample blends of your BD mixed with your pump diesel then put the samples into your freezer overnight to see how YOUR fuel mix works in extreme cold. Other people's experience is only a guide to how your blends might perform in the cold.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Make up different sample blends of your BD mixed with your pump diesel then put the samples into your freezer overnight to see how YOUR fuel mix works in extreme cold. Other people's experience is only a guide to how your blends might perform in the cold.
I've done that with my B67-K, and the freezer is at 0. It froze solid. But I will get some pump diesel soon, and start blending the B67 down to see what stays liquid, and hopefully clear, in the freezer.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post