BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Cold Weather Biodiesel    Fuel mix for minus 30°C
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel mix for minus 30°C
 Login/Join

posted
This fuel mix is working well in temperatures down to minus 30°C.

B20 [cold filtered canola]
10% petrol
70% ULSD
0.2% acetone + turpentine

It gets cloudy at -30°C but stays fluid with no drop-out.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is awesome!!!

Why do you add the acetone and turpentine?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lonnie Pomper:
That is awesome!!!

Why do you add the acetone and turpentine?

acetone - injector and fuel system cleaner.
turpentine - cetane 'booster'

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good info John thks! Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
turpentine - cetane 'booster'
The cetane of turpentine is 20- 25.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tilly:
The cetane of turpentine is 20- 25.
Got any proof for those assumptions?

A lot of people with more demonstrated credibility than posted don't agree.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...rum_scope=7191074622
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/about10.html

posted Hide Post
I have the distinct feeling that by presenting this information I have upset you. If that is the case please accept my apology for causing you distress.
I am sure that because you are using such a small amount of turpentine in your mix there is no harm in continuing to use it in your fuel in the belief that it is a cetane "booster"
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
[QUOTE]Got any proof for those assumptions?
Yes.

quote:
If you say something that is not correct long enough and often enough does it become correct?

posted Hide Post
I looked up the cetane value for turpentine and you are Spot on Lonnie.
The research I found also says you are spot on in saying the amounts being used will have no effect because they quoted significantly higher amounts needed to have any bearing on combustion Characteristics.
They also found emissions were HIGHER than with straight Diesel Fuel.

Don't worry though, John is known for always being right no matter how much he has to backtrack, spin doctor, edit posts, change the subject, deny what he said or speak double dutch.
If John says it, John will tell you its right no matter what!
Just ask him! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
I had some sucess with blending this weekend. I splash belnded at the pump this weekend here's the mix I tried:

15 gallon bio
14 gallon ulsd
1 gallon gasoline

It was below 20F all weekend, and last night was below 7 degrees. the car started better on this blend than it has all summer! I ran the car about 200 miles on this mix with no issues, I may have a winner here.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take a sample of my fuel mix and put it in a glass jar that sits out in the cold so I can easily see if there are any potential problems.

posted Hide Post
I kind of skipped the glass jar step out of nessesity. worked great, but I am going to do a glass jar batch and put in the freezer to observe it.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't make biodiesel but do/did use about these same percentages of Acetone and Turpentine (one ounce each per 5 gallons of veg blend) in my high percentage cold blends of veg/diesel/rug. I found that this combination of acetone and Turpentine worked very well as a solvent and helps keep the higher melt point hydrogenated oils and animal fats dissolved in solution to around 15 deg f colder temps than if I did not use them, I would expect these to do the same thing for biodiesel made from high melt point feed stocks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
92 dodge cummins with over 260,000 miles. Running an unheated 50% diesel/50% WVO blend for about the last 75,000 miles when temps above 50 deg f, no modifications or heating except the addition of a throw-away in-line fuel filter (removed during cold weather).
As of 8-01-05 I have been testing a 75% WVO/15% gasahol (90% RUG/10% ethanol)/10% diesel blend. Works fine down to about 65 f then starts rough. Runs ok once engine warms up. Back to a 50/50 diesel blend sence 9-15-05, just to cool now. -- 11-01-05 Modified stock fuel tank internal fuel pickup to have I.D. of 3/8 inch, this eliminated cold start slow idle and bogg on acceleration. Now adding 1 ounce each of acetone and pure gum spirits of turpentine to each 5 gallons of any blend, seems to help keep the fats in solution to a lower temperature --Heated 2nd tank fuel system installed january 2010, now running on a heated blend of 90% veg/5% diesel/5% RUG (no acetone or turpentine, heat replaced these).

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
this combination of acetone and Turpentine worked very well as a solvent and helps keep the higher melt point hydrogenated oils and animal fats dissolved in solution
I agree with that conclusion about turpentine and acetone additives.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim c cook:
I don't make biodiesel but do/did use about these same percentages of Acetone and Turpentine (one ounce each per 5 gallons of veg blend) in my high percentage cold blends of veg/diesel/rug. I found that this combination of acetone and Turpentine worked very well as a solvent and helps keep the higher melt point hydrogenated oils and animal fats dissolved in solution to around 15 deg f colder temps than if I did not use them, I would expect these to do the same thing for biodiesel made from high melt point feed stocks.
Wow!!!
A 15deg reduction in Cold temperature operation by adding just 0.2% Acetone and Turpentine to the fuel.
Does this mean that by adding the acetone and turpentine to Animal fat biodiesel that normally starts to solidify around 62 degrees, it will now remain cloud free dowwn to 47 degrees
I wonder what you would get using 0.4% Acetone and turpentine.

I bet the big manufacturers already add acetone and turpentine to their biodiesel

posted Hide Post
Give it a try with your own biodiesel and let us know the result, it has worked well for me for over 7 years in my veg blends.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel uneasy about putting the rug in my biodiesel, but the sound of using my fuel in the winter is enlightening. could this be blended in my biodiesel drying setup to ensure good mixing. and the biodiesel blend would not solidify in my setups plumbing overnight. If so this is pretty interesting to me.

Will the gasoline settle to the bottom?

Thanks,

Cooper farm

Location: Bioville Ohio | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
could this be blended in my biodiesel drying setup

I suppose you could, but I wouldn't advise it. The petrol mixes very well, and will not separate, but I only advise adding it to completely dry biodiesel, either in the vehicle tank or just before the mix goes into the vehicle tank, and only when temperatures are below freezing.

posted Hide Post
Just found this forum, interesting discussions!

I am interested in knowing more on efforts with different feedstocks, canola is mentioned, having a pretty high C18:1, which I presume is needed to be able to use for cold weather. Any other sources that have been tried out?

You guys who seem to experiment a lot, could more than 20% of biodiesel be used? I am just thinking in terms of phasing out fossil sources in the future.

Sure, minus 30 is pretty much, but a rather big part of the world can experience that weather sometimes so it is really interesting to find out blends that can work out.
Cheers Anna

Location: Cairns, Australia. | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've noted that including 5% petrol [premium grade w/o ethanol] in the biodiesel blend will significantly reduce the single 'puff' of black exhaust smoke on warm start-up after being stopped for a while. It also makes cold starts easier, with nearly zero smoke at start-up.

Minus 30°C is the extreme, most of the winter the operating temperature is minus 10°C to minus 20°C.

posted Hide Post
Two years ago I blended 100 gallons of petroleum diesel with 200 gallons of my bio I ran it in my 1991 Jetta all winter Her car is a 2005 TDI Jetta We ran most of the time, only when it was really cold, in the single digits or teens did we add more diesel, She had our daughter so I didn't want to take the chance. Neither car had any problems. I also put in the Bio diesel additive, but I didn't got over board on it.

Location: Ohio | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post