BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Cold Weather Biodiesel    Doctor diesel cold flow improver for B-100

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor diesel cold flow improver for B-100
 Login/Join

posted
Has anybody had experience with the B-100 coldflow improver that www.doctordiesel.com advertises?

posted Hide Post
I'd have to have a sample before I dropped over 200 bux on the stuff, if it works it would be the only one I know of.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone experimented with RUG as a anti gel? Like a B90 RUG blend? It would sure be a lot cheaper.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of us blend petrol with BD to improve winter characteristics. I generally run between 10% to 20% petrol in the mix. I prefer using low alcohol gasoline <E5.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Technol b100 is the name of the pour point depressant sold by doctor diesel; Anybody have experience with it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Technol b100 is the name of the pour point depressant sold by doctor diesel; Anybody have experience with it?

I just got some and and it does not seem to be up to the claims. It is clouding up just like my sample of 100% biodiesel at 35º I also tried WELLWORTH's "Summit" which says its for both dino and biodiesel. It is clear where the others are cloudy, so now I am just waiting for the temps to get a little lower in my test bottles. I will post photos when I get some results.

posted Hide Post
An overview of antioxidants and cold flow improvers for B100 and blends
http://www.biodieselmagazine.c...able-flowing-growing

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, Here are some photos of my non-scientific test. Temp is at 35ºF. I have five sample jars starting left to right, #1. 100% biodiesel, #2. 750/1 Technol B100, #3. Wellworth's Summit, #4. 75% biodiesel/25% diesel, #5 50/50 bio/diesel. Now I don't know if there is anything in the dino diesel, as I recovered it from a 300D parts car. I am not happy at all with the Technol B100, it is only slightly better than straight B100. And it is expensive for what you get! I feel like I got duped by buying it and wasted $58.00 on the two quarts I got. I hope to be able to at least return the one I did not open. The Wellworth Summit I have been using before making my own biodiesel and it does what it states on the bottle! it does says it is also for biodiesel on the bottle, so I figured, what the heck, give it a try. Also it is about half the price of the Technol B100. I am waiting for it to get a little colder to see what my samples are going to do. I tried putting them in my freezer, but it is below 0º and everything just gelled up solid! So it is hard to see just at what temp will be the gelling threshold for each sample. Will keep you posted on my results.

Imagelineup.jpg (45 Kb, 35 downloads)

posted Hide Post
HERE is an experiment along the same lines I did back in 2008.

Conclusion, most off the shelf diesel fuel cold flow improvement products don't work well in pure biodiesel. At least not at the recommended mixtures. These are mostly made up of naphtha and some xylene, which are good at stopping crystals from forming in petroleum diesel, but in such small amounts don't seem to help much in biodiesel. What does? Kerosene or Gasoline which also contains "xylene" [please correct me if that's wrong John]. From what I've read, xylene is decent at it, but is not good on pump seals.

I've had great luck over the years using K1 at 10-15% blends, but this year we've been working with another producer who prefers winter blending with gasoline. So I've began conducting some testing between the two fuels additives. The feedstock of this biodiesel has a naturally higher "CFPP" (Cold Filter Plug Point) than the UVO feedstock I typically use. However it's been cold pass filtered before blending, part of the new ASTM D6751 No 1-B standard, which sounds good on paper but I have issues with it.

The fuel that's been cold pass filtered seems to have a lower CFPP in the B100 form, but once blended, still drops out waxes. My trucks 20 micron filter totally backs me up on this... I'm clogging filters at higher temps than ever before. So I have 1lter samples of the gasoline blended and K1 blended setting outside again. The K1 blended still looks better on any given cold morning, while the gasoline blend is cloudy on the bottom 20%.

Both test blends are still showing some wax fallout, actually a little more in the K1, but the rest of the fuel remains clear. So to avoid problems this winter I've taken up with John's process. Took a 275 IBC set it up outside, added a bulkhead port at the 65 gallon mark [the lowest point I pull fuel from] connected a hose. Tote is filled to the 150 gallon mark with a blend of biodiesel, about 10% gasoline, and additionally 5% K1.

So far so good. The wax falls to the bottom of the tote and stays there, hence avoiding the same action taking place in the fuel tank on our vehicles. Will let ya know how this plays out over the winter..

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post