BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Algae  Hop To Forums  Non-biodiesel uses for Algae    Algae News: June '09 - Algae Fantasists, Algenol,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Algae News: June '09 - Algae Fantasists, Algenol,
 Login/Join

posted
Algae Fantasists Predict 1B Gallons Per Year by 2014
greentechmedia.com

Wildly optimistic predictions based on scant evidence and stretched data could do a disservice to the entire biofuel industry.
I want to believe that algae can make a significant contribution to our liquid fuels habit in the coming years. But wildly optimistic predictions based on scant evidence and stretched data are disingenuous and do a disservice to the entire industry.
Jim Lane of Biofuels Digest recently authored a forecast projecting that algal biofuels capacity will reach 1 billion gallons by 2014. That would be up from what is essentially, let me check, yes, zero algal biofuels capacity today...

Algenol: The Elephant in the Room
greentechmedia.com

I wrote a perspectives piece last week (see Algae Fantasists Predict 1B Gallons Per Year by 2014) on the viability of commercial algal biofuels and received a slew of comments, on and off-line, endorsing my claim that we are a longer way off from commercialization than claimed by breathless algae start-up press releases.

But according to Jim Lane of Biofuels Digest: Paul Woods, the chief executive of algae farmer Algenol is adamant he will produce 250 million gallons per year by 2013.

And according to Lane in email correspondence – when it comes to biofuels from algae, "It really comes down to how one thinks about Algenol. That's the elephant in the room when it comes to photobioreactors."...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clean and green,

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post