BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Mercedes    OM617 Engine Converted to a Home Generator??

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OM617 Engine Converted to a Home Generator??
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone heard of someone converting the OM617 (diesel engine in a 300D) into a home generator? If so, do has anyone ever published plans for it?

Let me know. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Well, it's all about mounting and hooking it to the generator head. I haven't done the 617. What size generator do you have? The 617 should be rated at about 35% duty, i.e. design for about 30kW for efficiency. Then there's the speed control...how are you going to keep it synchronous or at least near the rated speed, which should be 1800 or 3600rpm?

Good idea, but may not be feasible unless you are willing to put a lot of time into this.

Another approach is to drive an induction motor to feed it into the grid. If you drive an induction motor over its rated speed (usually 1750 rpm), it will generate power, and if you tie it into your home panel, it will automatically synchronize, and perhaps run your meter backwards....pay you. I imagine a 617 could easily spin a 25hp motor. A surplus 215T or 254T frame should do it.

There are lots of blogs, etc. on the microhydro generator sites. Also look up induction motor as generator. I imagine a big pulley with multiple belts could power a good sized motor. Depending on how much power you want, you can choose the pulley size and run the 617 accordingly. You may not even have to pull the engine!!! Generator with an attached office and storage shed!

In Maine. where are you?

Location: Lincoln County Maine | Registered: June 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post