BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Mercedes    B100 & modern Common Rail Diesel engines?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B100 & modern Common Rail Diesel engines?
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me about experience with running only B100 in a modern Common Rail Diesel engine (CDI, TDI, Cummins) etc. There are numerous stories out there that this should not be done. I've heard reasons such as the ultra high pressure fuel delivery systems & tight tolerance precision components do not like the higher viscosity BD. Also there may be issues with Urea injection (Blutech) systems etc. Any experience or comments?
Thanks. PD

Location: Vancouver | Registered: November 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like you've already stated the common rail diesels won't run much more than B5 due to the MUCH higher pressure in the system and the higher viscosity of biodiesel. I am good friends with the owner of Grease Works, about a year ago he has a Jeep Liberty CRD, which has a MB engine. The owner had run B100 in it and it destroyed the injectors and they had to be replaced. I wouldn't attempt anything higher than B5.

------------------------------------------------
78 Mercedes 240D - 50k miles on a two tank WVO system
82 Mercedes 300TD - Sold
77 Mercedes 300D - Sold

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.--Les Claypool

Location: Albany, OR | Registered: August 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PD Vancoouver
-B100 works fine for in the summer months, check the list of vehicles below Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biodiesel300TD:
Like you've already stated the common rail diesels won't run much more than B5 due to the MUCH higher pressure in the system and the higher viscosity of biodiesel. I am good friends with the owner of Grease Works, about a year ago he has a Jeep Liberty CRD, which has a MB engine. The owner had run B100 in it and it destroyed the injectors and they had to be replaced. I wouldn't attempt anything higher than B5.

Jeep CRD engine for the Liberty was produced by VM Motori, an Italian engine manufacturer-- Never used by MB--

ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
1987 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo(possibly for sale)
1983 VW Pick-up (Caddy) 1.6 Turbo
Southern Oregon

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We run B100 in a 2005 CRD Jeep Liberty since it was new. Now at over 48,000 miles and the only fuel related issue we've had is that we need to replace the fuel filter at 5k-10k miles.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
Bio-Beetle Eco Rental Cars
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

Now offering the Nissan Leaf all electric car and the Chevy Volt Plugin hybrid electric car.
EV Car Rentals
Forum members get a 10% discount

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ReM:
quote:

Jeep CRD engine for the Liberty was produced by VM Motori, an Italian engine manufacturer-- Never used by MB--

ReM

You must be thinking of something else. According to the Jeep site http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/news/jeep/diesel.html They used a 3.0L Mercedes-Benz engine

82 Mercedes 300TD - Sold
77 Mercedes 300D - Sold

Location: Albany, OR | Registered: August 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

ReM

You must be thinking of something else. According to the Jeep site http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/news/jeep/diesel.html They used a 3.0L Mercedes-Benz engine

Nope-- Your reference is for the Grand Cherokee-- Vehicle in question is the Liberty

ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
1987 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo(possibly for sale)
1983 VW Pick-up (Caddy) 1.6 Turbo
Southern Oregon

posted Hide Post
There are thousands of people all over the country running B100, including a lot on this board alone, we run B100 in PSDs and Duramaxs and an 05 Mercedes all with around 50-60K on B100 so far.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nope-- Your reference is for the Grand Cherokee-- Vehicle in question is the Liberty

ReM

Sure enough. Oops.

82 Mercedes 300TD - Sold
77 Mercedes 300D - Sold

posted Hide Post
Hi All
Since I originally posted this question 2 years ago hopefully there is now more experience out there with B100 usage in CDI engines. I'm looking at acquiring a 2005 Mercedes E320 with CDI. Can anyone with direct experience with these 2005 MB's comment?
Thanks. PD

Location: Vancouver | Registered: November 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 05 and 06 Mercedes CRD are both in-line 6 cylinder engines. 3.2 liter in capacity. They have a common rail injection system. But do not have an after emissions control on them, i.e.--a DPF. I have seen the engine before and it looks just like my CRD in my Liberty. But the rail is not as thick as my Lierty. I meet a man at a car show that said he had an 06 that he was running bio in. He was purchasing it commercially in his township. I gathered that he did not use B100 constantly. His has had no problems over the last year. On the greasecar.com websit they converted one to run on grease and I would buy an convert one myself if I had the money to actually buy one!

I would bet that it would run fine all day long on good homemeade B100.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I would ideally like to speak to a person that has had significant first hand experience in operating a 2005, MB 320 CDI on B100. From further research on the IN there seems to be some controversy over this. Any comments anyone?
PD

posted Hide Post
I'm purchasing a low mileage 2005 320 CDI next weekend, I'll keep you informed. I'm currently running 4 vehicles (01 PSD, 05 PD TDI & 2 06 PD TDI's) on variuous blends of biodeisel (20-100%) with no issues other than a tank of wet fuel (bio or diesel - not sure) in one of the 06 TDI that killed 2 injectors. Replaced w/ used injector, runs like new!

posted Hide Post
This is a WVO conversion on an 06 CDI. 2006 Mercedes CDII think he needs to heat the fuel rail to cure his long heat up time. I have not heard from him in two years.

The original question was about common rail engines. The 05 and 06 are different from the 07 and up years. Ones with DPF will not run bio, or wvo it will just clog up the system when the computer dumps WVO into the exhaust system without burning it. 05 and 06 Common Rail engines did not have the after treatment. 07 and up did on all diesel engines in the US.

I personally have 30k miles on my CRD Jeep Liberty running a two tank (3 actually) wvo system and it runs better than the day I got it. I have never run bio in mine. My Jeep uses the same exact pump as the 05 and 06 Mercedes CDI it also uses the same injection system.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run B50 to B100 in my 2008 Mercedes 320TDI GL. I have for two years now. The vehicle runs great so far. It has stopped twice in the hot summer months when sitting in idle. but it restarts.
The higher the B-load the longer it takes to start. I make high quality fuel. I also use injector
cleaner and a stabilizer in my fuel.

I also own and operate on bio-diesel
2008 Ford F250 4x4
bobcat toolcat loader

Location: st cloud, MN | Registered: August 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD.Vancouver:
Can anyone tell me about experience with running only B100 in a modern Common Rail Diesel engine (CDI, TDI, Cummins) etc. There are numerous stories out there that this should not be done. I've heard reasons such as the ultra high pressure fuel delivery systems & tight tolerance precision components do not like the higher viscosity BD. Also there may be issues with Urea injection (Blutech) systems etc. Any experience or comments?
Thanks. PD

I have run SeQuential Brand b99 all year long in my '06 Sprinter since new. I keep it in an insulated garage. Driving it every couple of days keeps the fuel warm enough to prevent flaking in this climate (Portland, OR). We tow a travel trailer and can't readily get biodiesel out of town, but in 70,000 miles over half of the fuel consumed has been biodiesel. I get the same fuel economy with or without bio. I have had no problems operating with the stock fuel system.
biodiesel is really amazing. If you get it on your hands, it doesn't burn. It's more like lotion. I like the idea that it won't hurt the environment if spilled. It's a very good penetrant. I spray painted some braces for an auxiliary fuel tank. The tank leaked and the biodiesel took off the paint.
It is great for removing grease from hands. Next, I want to try it as a squirt oil.

Location: Portland, OR | Registered: July 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SO how is it? DId you get all the answers? Are you running B100 in your sprinter?

Mark

Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dale Monroe:
I have run SeQuential Brand b99 all year long in my '06 Sprinter since new. I keep it in an insulated garage. Driving it every couple of days keeps the fuel warm enough to prevent flaking in this climate (Portland, OR). We tow a travel trailer and can't readily get biodiesel out of town, but in 70,000 miles over half of the fuel consumed has been biodiesel. I get the same fuel economy with or without bio. I have had no problems operating with the stock fuel system.
biodiesel is really amazing. If you get it on your hands, it doesn't burn. It's more like lotion. I like the idea that it won't hurt the environment if spilled. It's a very good penetrant. I spray painted some braces for an auxiliary fuel tank. The tank leaked and the biodiesel took off the paint.
It is great for removing grease from hands. Next, I want to try it as a squirt oil.

I want to run my 2015 MB Sprinter on B100. Does the 06 MB have a turbo? Does it have a DPF?

Mark

Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've run my 2000 Mazda b2500 for 10 yrs on only B100. Now have a 2012 Mazda BT 50 turbo and am running it on mostly b100, occasionally on b80. I'm in Central America which has a high sulfur content in their diesel. No DPFs here due to no low sulfur fuel. The BT 50 runs smooth as silk.

Location: Mayan Highlands | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post