BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Mercedes    Anyone converted a W210? (96-99 E300).
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone converted a W210? (96-99 E300).
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
John,

Thanks for the info. I am very curious to learn more about the a/c fix on the off chance we have an issue in the near future. If you still have contact with the other W210 owner you mentioned, please put me in touch with them.

Have a great day.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...=857104535#857104535

Location: Arlington, Va.  | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I converted my 99 E300D and am now unconverting it. I lost my supply of WVO, and my wife and I had a baby ... so now I need my trunk back. I am selling the "kit" I put together. I followed the frybrid design w/ aluminum fuel lines, a 3 valve system that runs the WVO return back to the WVO supply except on purge it runs WVO back to the WVO tank. It has a 15 gal wedge shaped aluminum tank that allows you to keep your spare tire and still fit 2 carry on suit cases in the trunk. There is a flat plate heat exchanger I mounted to the engine block above the turbo w/ custom brackets and the valves mount to the manifold w/ another custom bracket. There is also a heat exchanger around the WVO fuel filter. I'm selling everything for $2k plus shipping ... you can pm me for more info or pictures

posted Hide Post
Interested in seeing pictures and getting more info. I tried to send a PM, but my mobile device and this forum do not seem to be compatible.

Where are you located?

Location: Arlington, Va.  | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@ EDC

Hey, I am in the Richmond area and I, also have a 98 E300TD. After spending almost $4/gallon today, I am ready to convert. I am in the learning stage of this process. So, being that you are in the same area, we should share information on our vehicles. If you have already done the conversion to your vehicle, I would like to take a look.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: carl6405,

Location: Chesterfield,Va | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carl,

Great to meet you. Keep in touch. Keep searching for a VO source there are so many eateries where you are located. Just keep at it.

posted Hide Post
Colin,

Hey, thank you so much for letting me see your set up! Really a nice set up and doesn't appear to be overly complicated.
I did manage to find a supplier for WVO this week! A Chinese restaurant. At first he told me that someone was getting it and paying him $3/5 gallons. After telling him what I was doing he was willing to let me come get it now for free! I actually used google translator and wrote a letter in Chinese, printed it off and gave it to him. He appreciated that. They are not that busy, which is good. I am going to try this small scale first.

I need to come up with a better way to get their oil into my containers. Will need to get a pump from Harbor Freight and rig up a filter.

Sorry to be off topic to this forum.

Location: Chesterfield,Va | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats Carl.

For barrels, I use a 12V RV sewage pump that has a 3ft piece of PVC attached. It's looks sorta like a bazooka and works pretty well. I use it with a 12V car battery to fill cubies out of the barrel. I think it's made by Johnson and I got it at boatfix.com

1987 MB 300D Turbo
Summer Blend - WVO w/10%ULSD,5% RUG, splash of acetone and gum turp. Afterglow mod,EGR delete, gutted cat.
1999 MB E300 TD - My own 2 tank system. EGR delete

Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Thanks. I just (moments ago) bought from Ebay a drill master heavy duty drill pump for $5. New, unopened package. It requires an electric drill, however. The location that I have to get the oil from is in an area that you can't get your vehicle in to. Last time, I just picked up the 2 5 gallon buckets of oil they had and dumped it into a cube using a funnel. That got a little messy. So, want to figure out something a little cleaner.

Also, I would like to ad a filter to the end of the hose. I would put the filtered end down in their buckets, so it gets pre-filtered before it goes in my container. Need to find a filter that would fit on the end of a garden hose or any 1 inch hose.

posted Hide Post
Carl,

Best is to have them give you the oil back in the cubies that the Virgin oil comes in. No fuss no mess. You just pick up the cubie wrapped in its original cardboard box. Put it in your trunk and go. (maybe in a plastic bag, set in a bin to keep from tipping over). The only time you want to do any pumping is if you drop them a 55 gal drum and come to pump it out. I only take the good oil on top and leave the crap on the bottom for annual servicing. The junk can be composted or soaked into saw dust and made into bricks to burn for heat.

The drill pump may test your patience.

Google this site "small block chevy pump :: biodiesel.infopop.cc"

Modify an SBC oil pump, drive it with an electric motor (could be 12V, 110 is better), and pump like crazy.

Best of luck.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Best is to have them give you the oil back in the cubies that the Virgin oil comes in.

yes, x 2

Give them a big funnel to make the job easier. All of my suppliers prefer this method. Less mess and no greasy barrel out back.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great advice! My supplier doesn't have much room out behind their restaurant. I may do the barrel idea and put a large funnel in the top with a screen to stop the the grungies from getting in there.

What do you all think about the idea of say mixing 20%wvo80%diesel and pouring it into the tank of my 98 e300? I've been reading about trouble with the wvo cleaning the gunk out of the bottom of fuel tanks and getting caught up in the tank strainer and filters.

I think I just figured out with the "RUG" acronym stands for. Regular Unleaded Gasoline. I see people using that to blend in to the mix as well.

There's a lot of information out here, not sure which way to go with the mix.

posted Hide Post
If you go with a drum then get a "drum filter". They fit on top of a 55 gal drum 200-300 Micron would be good. We use the plastic filters that are about 10-15$ each I believe. If storage is an issue for your new client, and pumping is an issue for you. Hand carrying cubies is the only way to go. At home, have a couple 55 gallon drums and place a filter on top of one of them. Get John Galt's Cold Upflow system plans and go with that. Best simple system out there.

Dont blend more than 10% VO into your diesel. Show some love for the 606 and treat it well. Ring coking is an issue and will kill it. You may consider adding water injection as well. Not only will it help reduce air charge temps, but also will steam clean the combustion chamber.

You want to add a secondary fuel system and provide heat to inject oil at 170*F.

posted Hide Post
What the heck is water injection?
I found a link about it. This looks pretty crazy.
http://www.vegetableoildiesel....095&action=printable

He's injection water straight in to his turbo. I don't understand.

posted Hide Post
Renntag and Carl6405,

Just a bit of anecdotal info. I've been running a WVO 2 tank hose-in-hose system on my E300 for a little over a year now. I had occasion to bring it into my mechanic in January because it got the dreaded "stuck glow plug" problem. Multiple stuck glow plugs. Anyway, they had to pull the head and send to a machine shop, but in the mean time did a valve job. The valve flutes had a good bit of sticky residue on them. Do you suppose water injection would help with this? I'm just not sure if the cleaning action would get to the valves.

-Chuck

posted Hide Post
Chuck D, I am sorry to hear about the GP issue. I also have a 98 E300D. 2 years ago, one of my GP's were bad. After reading about the issue that people were having and getting them stuck on the OM606.962, I decided to get the dealer to do the job for me. $600 to get em all re replaced. Figured if they screwed em up, it wouldnt cost me anything extra.

UPDATE on my wvo and my 98 w210. I have ran about 6 gallons of 50/50 WVO/Diesel mix, right into the tank and can't tell a difference in performance or mpg. It does smell of a Chinese restaurant. I also add a bit of coleman lantern fuel, which I hear is white kerosene. This thins the mixture out some and the temps are warm enough.

I would love to continue with this method until I get a second tank system.

Any thoughts on this method, bad or indifferent would be appreciated.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
By the way, this weekend, I replaced the belt tensioner, changed the engine oil. Next weekend, I am going to do a radiator flush. I am studying for a exam, so, not enough time to do everything I wanted to.

posted Hide Post
Hey Carl. What kind of oil are you using? I have that task on my to-do list for the 99. I'm puttin a new alternator in my 87 this weekend. Bad one looks like it was the original at 200K

Ed

1987 MB 300D Turbo
Summer Blend - WVO w/10%ULSD,5% RUG, splash of acetone and gum turp. Afterglow mod,EGR delete, gutted cat.
1999 MB E300 TD - My own 2 tank system. EGR delete

Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I bought 2- 5qt containers of Mobil 1 0-40 $36/each @ Advance Auto. I have used the Rotella 15w-40 once. Not a good idea. I definitely noticed a decrease in mpg. Mercedes recommends the Mobil 1 oil.

I have some kind of a ticking or clicking noise coming from something. Not sure what it is. Been making the noise, for a while now. Also, has an oil leak coming from the front of the engine. Guess a seal is bad.

By the way.. I had my wife stitch a couple of pair of denim pants legs together, that I am using for a wvo filter. I am getting ready to order some filters for my wvo usage. Looks like my supplier is going to be providing me about 5-7 gallons of wvo a week. Also, I need to find a 35 or so gallon container. The way I am doing it now, is quite messy.

posted Hide Post
Hi Carl,

I had thought that it would be better to use the an oil specifically rated for diesel, like the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel (5w 40) or Rotella also has a "synthetic" (5w 40) rated oil. I'd love to be able to use a standard Mobil 1 oil, but figured it didn't have the anti-soot stuff.

Yeah, the glow plug thing was kind of a nightmare. I'm convinced now to change them at least every 2 years, no matter what.

I've done some blending, and honestly the only down side I know is that it can tend to clean the gunk out of the diesel system and clog up filters.

My car currently runs much smoother on the WVO system, though I seem to have some kind of air infiltration on the diesel side -- something I've really looked for and can't locate. I can see the bubbles (and feel them), but not sure from where they originate in the system, as I have no fuel leaks. I've just lived with it for now.

Good luck!

Chuck

posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Yeah, I have 1 fuel line that has air in it. It is on one of the fuel lines that I replaced. I may try to re-seat the line to see if it fixes the issue. It's always something to fix on this car.

Wow. Today, while driving, I see that regular gasoline is about the same price as diesel now.