BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Mercedes    Anyone converted a W210? (96-99 E300).
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone converted a W210? (96-99 E300).
 Login/Join

posted
My wife and I are considering buying a nice clean W210 next week. Plans will be to immediately convert it to dual tank SVO. Has anyone else done this with this model MB?

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...=857104535#857104535

Location: Arlington, Va.  | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, 30 days later and still no commentary.

Engine model is OM606. We purchased a '98 E300 Turbo Diesel. I am searching for Service info to better understand all fuel system components.

I have read that there 'might' be sensors on the fuel system to be concerned with. If this is the case, I will need to better understand the function of these parts.

Thanks in advance.

Location: Arlington, Va.  | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skipping over the month of September, about 40 days more......

I was able to look at a converted W210 and have a better idea what is needed. I also found a very good write up from a guy in Canada. I will share the link.

Anyone else have info?

ImageDSCN4982_FPHE_mounted_over_the_turbo_a.jpg (48 Kb, 26 downloads) FPHE mounted over turbo

posted Hide Post
Renntag,

I'm with you buddy. I have a '98 E300D that is converted and runs great on WVO and biodiesel. The fuel lines were replaced, the IP resealed and a fairly nice if manually operated conversion takes control of the fuel loops.

I can take some pictures and compare notes if that helps, there are some nice features of the conversion that are worthy of replication if you are starting from scratch or rebuilding your own system.

-R

Location: SoCal | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I wish there was a door prize I could offer.

If you have any high quality pictures or info, I would certainly appreciate getting a look.

I am starting from scratch with a well maintained, very clean, low mileage (for its age), W210.

Have a great day.

posted Hide Post
Renntag,

I'll need a few more days given the holiday to organize images, but the system is fully functional as is the WVO fuel processor to dewater and filter prior to use. I bought it from a chap who performed the conversion himself and did a fine job overall.

The list of components used is as follows:

1) 19 gallon RCI aluminum fuel cell in boot
2) Aluminum coolant heated fuel tank heater
3) Insulated heater hose from T in heater lines to fuel tank run under car, fuel line in same insulated sheath, water pump wired to boost water pressure PSI through the line to the fuel tank and back
4) Coolant heated water separating fuel filter
5) 30 plate copper brazed FPHE near Injection Pump
6) Glow plug heater in brass fitting to heat coolant prior to entering FPHE (rather than glow-plug heated fuel)
7) 240 watt electric boost heater attached to intake manifold with 170F switch to add heat just prior to entering IP.
8) 2x Veg Power heavy duty 3 way solenoids for looping the fuel return in VO mode and unlooping it in diesel and purge mode
9) switch panel discreetly concealed under panel above ashtray, indicating boost, VO tank fill level, fuel temperature as measured from final tap just prior to lift pump. Switch controls VO mode, diesel mode and purge with LEDs to indicate status of each.
10) Viton and SAE J30R9 (Viton inner, HBNR outer) fuel lines and Viton O-rings throughout fuel system, clear pre-filters for VO circuit input and return to visually inspect if lines are full or empty and if system is clean (normal operation input is full of fuel, fuel return is filter is empty).

The changes I'm planning for this system include (in no particular order):

* replace generic single pole, single throw relays with a more industrial grade part (Hella, Bosch) such as the metal encased "icecube" relays - known to go many tens of thousands of operating hours.

* reduce tank heating with a coolant thermostat to reduce thermal cycling (prevents scum deposits) and a temperature controlled electrical heating element with a low temperature switch - currently the tank is reaching pretty darn close to full op temp (other than loses), I'd prefer to keep the fuel tank itself at 20-25C and use a heated pickup rather than a full coil pass at the bottom of the tank.

* replace coolant heated semi-cheesy fuel filter heater to name brand integrated coolant heated/electrically heated fuel filter with 160F switch

* upgrade to a more automatic VO controller with mode overrides based on fuel level, temperature and retain manual purge cycle.

* insulate injector lines from Injection Pump

* insulate fuel lines and turbo to reduce under hood temperatures (the wiring harnesses on these cars don't do well with extra heat, they go brittle prematurely as it is).

I already achieve 160-170F, which is quite good, I don't need to add a lot of heat at this point, that's working out fine. Mostly it's a cleanup operation and re-add some labels to the hoses to keep track of things (easy to get lost in there).

-Richard

posted Hide Post
Richard,

Thanks. Sounds good. I agree, you definitely want to reduce heating of the VO fuel tank. A simple 2 port solenoid valve triggered by a temp sender would do the trick.

The filter upgrade you mention, is that to a Racor?

Have you calculated mileage on WVO?

I too am interested in a digital VO controller, makes it easy to manage 2 fuel systems and a busy life.

Thanks for the info, I look forward to seeing some pictures.

~Colin

posted Hide Post
Colin,

I haven't gotten a chance to sort my pictures yet, I'm out of town still, sorry for the delay. I'll provide what I promised when I get back home in a week.

The two port solenoid to control the coolant temp to the tank (or in my case, the pickup) is the correct approach, though I'm currently searching for a 30 degree C temp switch to tap into a stainless fitting to provide the input to the solenoid.

The filter isn't a Racor element nor head, it looks generic and uses and aluminum tube wrapped around the filter element to heat the filter and it's contents. The coolant line that provides the heating takes a very long path around the back of the firewall to this point, which is a bit messy. I plan to re-route those hoses, relabel them and use a proper pedestal with a water separating chamber and integrated coolant fittings instead of the coolant tube loop around the outside. The current filter is a fairly long light/medium duty diesel water separating filter with a petcock drain at the bottom. It also makes for a sloppy fit where the head is installed with a single screw into the front sheet metal behind the left headlamp. I just bought a replacement before I left, but haven't had time to fit it, more info on that after I install it.

Fuel economy drops a bit with both B100 and WVO, that's the rub. I can obtain B100 for less than $3.00 a gallon locally if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to don my mad scientist gear, and the fuel quantity increase is fairly minor now that I've adjusted. I average about 2-3% higher fuel consumption after advancing the injection point by 2 degrees (both B100 and WVO burn slower than #2). I believe I was closer to 5-6% higher relative to #2 before advancing. 1-2 degrees can do wonders.

Warm regards,

-Richard

posted Hide Post
I also picked up a 1999 E300 last week and just started researching the conversion. I found this blog of a guy who has one up and running and he has good tips and links for the fuel line re-routing.

http://jakesbenzconversion.blogspot.com/

It looks basically the same as the older Benzes once the fuel switching valve is taken care of.

Ed

1987 MB 300D Turbo
Summer Blend - WVO w/10%ULSD,5% RUG, splash of acetone and gum turp. Afterglow mod,EGR delete, gutted cat.
1999 MB E300 TD - My own 2 tank system. EGR delete

Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed,

I just purchased a '99 e300d also. Wow so much more power than my '82 300D. I've got a Greasecar kit on the older one and of course that works great, and I a also currently researching options for the newer car. What kind of blend are you using in the winter there in VA?

-Chuck

posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of the last E300 I did with a GC kit/co pilot. Also has a small FPHE which is not seen in pics.
I use the three valve method to push through filters, you don't want to pull vacuum on those push in fittings.
The car doing well, converted it for a woman in PA like 3yrs ago and much to my amazement, no problems at all. These things take a long time to convert.

MB300TD
92 w250 CTD
Samurai 1.6VWTD
Mitsu 4x4 17HP tractor
Veggen
WVO shop heat

Location: Randolph, VT | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beauteous!
I take it that it's probably at least a full 2 days work?

posted Hide Post
Actually, all said and done it took me like 5 days. No one ever accused me of getting stuff done too fast! These cars just take time, devil is in the details.

MB300TD
92 w250 CTD
Samurai 1.6VWTD
Mitsu 4x4 17HP tractor
Veggen
WVO shop heat

Location: Randolph, VT | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck. I'm running the same blend now as in the summer. I run basically a 2 tank now in the 87 using the stock unheated tank for the wvo. Here's some pics on how I did that - http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepxgzy/ Only issue is I think the 30 plate HE is boiling the gas in the blend as I get bubbles in the fuel line while on veg that is proven not an air leak. Runs fine though since I don't loop the return.

You're right, the 99 is definitely a powerhouse compared to the older models. I thought I had my 87 running well until I bought it.

Gilead - Do you have a blog with more pics on that E300 install? You must be proud of that. It looks awesome. Where did you move the glowplug relay? Is the FPHE under the intake? I'm a fan of the GC valves too and they'll be in my 99.

Ed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EdC,

1987 MB 300D Turbo
Summer Blend - WVO w/10%ULSD,5% RUG, splash of acetone and gum turp. Afterglow mod,EGR delete, gutted cat.
1999 MB E300 TD - My own 2 tank system. EGR delete

Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed,

No blog. I used to do alot of installs and still have a website which i have totally abandoned years ago. I'm not sure if this car is on there, but other E300's are. These days I'm too busy with job, family, house, etc. Its a full time job just keeping up with my own greasing.

The FPHE is under intake kind of on frame rail. THE GP controller is moved to the side and the cable still reaches.

I'll dig around for some pics and post them up if i can find them, on a flash drive somewhere...

My old website is www.gileadgarage.net, not even sure if it still exists though.

MB300TD
92 w250 CTD
Samurai 1.6VWTD
Mitsu 4x4 17HP tractor
Veggen
WVO shop heat

posted Hide Post
I don't imagine you guys would recommend blending in the OM606? I've done this in my '82 300D from time to time though usually I run straight diesel in the main tank (WVO in the Greasecar tank of course).

-Chuck

posted Hide Post
Due to poor combustion of cold veg oil, blending isn't really recommended by many as deposits can form behind the ring lands. As a band aid measure, water injection can be employed to 'steam clean' the intake and combustion chamber, but the bottom line is that the oil must be heated to 160*F for complete combustion. Even with heating, it is still wise to employ water injection to maintain clean internals as discovered by member __?____ in western Pa. He has 2 OM606 motors successfully burning SVO.

posted Hide Post
What do you mean by water injection? I just moved to Washington DC from Atlanta, and am worried about having to run on WVO at such cold temperatures compared to what I've been running at in GA. Looking for any pointers or tips to get back up and running on WVO here in DC.

Location: Atlanta | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuckheadGarage:
What do you mean by water injection?

Just as it sounds. Water injected into the intake tract primarily for the benefit of intercooling. The water evaporates and takes heat out of the air in order to do so. it also makes a bit of steam that creates a cleaning action as a side benefit. These systems can be very simple or complicated.

quote:
Originally posted by BuckheadGarage:
I just moved to Washington DC from Atlanta, and am worried about having to run on WVO at such cold temperatures compared to what I've been running at in GA. Looking for any pointers or tips to get back up and running on WVO here in DC.

I'm confused, if you were running WVO before, what is different now? It still gets below 50*F in Georgia. You must have a heating aspect to your fuel system, yes? If you are just blending with no added equipment on the car, it is best to do a proper conversion to avoid engine damage. This isnt a difficult process. Perhaps we can help each other. Drop me an email.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I rarely come over to this area of the forum. I owned a '98 E300, and had a two-tank on it that I ran for tens and thousands of miles back around 2006-08, trouble-free. I used a 20-gallon poly tank from Golden Fuel Systems, and a Racor 900 filter inline. I had a manual purge valve, but all the fuel switches for daily use were electrically operated. The car was a real champ. I sold it with about 205k on the clock because I needed something larger, with towing capacity (now in a Touareg V10TDI).

I'm aware of another guy with the same setup down in Mississippi, still running as far as I know -- haven't spoken to him in several years.

I think you'll be happy with lots of good service out of that W210. The OM606 is a jewel. Watch the fuel return lines on the cylinder head -- the little loops that run from injector to injector. They will wear out and leak, and you'll know it by the puddle of fuel under the car in the garage. It's a ten-minute fix, DIY. Window regulators, particularly in the rear doors, will break. Eventually the AC controller (not on the dash, but a resistor of some sort under the dash) will go out, but there is a well-documented fix using cheaper and more heavy-duty parts from an older S-class. I did that one myself in a couple hours, for about $250 in parts if memory serves. Just requires finding the broken part, cutting it out, splicing a few wires, and leaving the replacement unit installed. Mine destroyed a transmission and torque converter at around 190k miles, and AAMCO replaced both for about $2500 out the door with a two-year warranty.

Overall, it was a very satisfying car to own and drive. Be careful filling any trunk-based tanks, or you'll eventually wind up with sticky drips that you do NOT want. Also just assume that you're doing the conversion for yourself -- it does NOT appreciably increase resale value. I basically managed to break even on my car over a couple years of ownership, not counting fuel savings.

Cheers, John