BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Mercedes    2005 Mercedes 320 CDI compatibility w/ B100 ?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Mercedes 320 CDI compatibility w/ B100 ?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Anyone
I'm still trying to get solid data from people (preferably several) that have first hand info with running B100 in the in-line 6 cyl, 2004 - 2006 era Mercedes 320 CDI engines. Many conflicting reports on the www, but I suspect these common rail engines are ok with it. Please anyone care to throw in their 2 cents or know someone that has experience?
Thanks. PD

Location: Vancouver | Registered: November 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PD,

I recently purchased an 05 E320 CDI, all I can say is wow, this car rocks! I'll be running B50 when I get the car on the road this summer, can't wait Smile.

Right now I run a 7.3L PSD, and 3 TDI's (PD), all is good with my brew. I had one incident with water seeping into my storage tank which killed 2 injectors on one TDI-PD. I replaced the injectors, corrected the water seepage and added more QC to my process. I confident w/ high quality fuel, this car should run B50 with no problems. Keep us posted if you decide to purchase. What a step up from my loaded Jetta TDI!

posted Hide Post
Hi Max
I've got a mechanic friend Sean who works at MB in north Vancouver here. I've asked him to do a little research on these vehicles. Sean tells me to "look under the center of the vehicle & see if it has a big canister in the exhaust system which is where the DPF would be." Or "I can also check the option codes for the car if you give me the VIN # to see if it is equipped with a DPF.". Are u familiar wether u'r vehicle has DPF? Of course DPF is what all the controversy is over & dilution of crank case oil etc. Also where do u live that burning BD is an issue this time of yr? How many miles / km on the one u acquired & do u mind if I ask what u paid? Have u ever heard of / seen a 2004 320 CDI? Also pls confirm u'rs is a 2005?

Thanks. PD Vanc.

FYI, see Sean's e-m to me below

W211 E Class MY (Model Years) 2002 – 2009
Thursday Feb 2nd 2012

W211 with Diesel Engines in Canada MY 2004 -2009

MY 2004 – 2005 E320 CDI w/OM648 3.2L 24 valve turbo charged Inline 6 cylinder
MY 2005; -CDI 4 Fuel injection with Piezo crystal type fuel Injectors
-Has Diesel Particulate Filter
MY 2004; -CDI 3 Fuel injection with Solenoid type fuel injectors
-Has no Diesel Particulate Filter

The info regarding the OM648 is pretty scattered and trying to determine what and when was not that easy. It looks like there was no DPF on the MY 2004 E 320 CDI’s as all my info only mentions the DPF starting MY 2005 when the CDI 4 Fuel Injection was introduced. So if you’re looking at a MY 2004 E 320 CDI look under the center of the vehicle & see if it has a big canister in the exhaust system which is where the DPF would be. I can also check the option codes for the car if you give me the VIN # to see if it is equipped with a DPF. There seems to be a gap in info for MY 2006 and if my memory serves me correctly. I believe there was no Diesel E Class for MY 2006, at least in Canada.

MY 2007 – 2009 w/OM642 3.2L 24 valve turbo charged V6
-CDI 5 fuel injection with Piezo crystal type fuel injectors
-Bluetec 1 without Add Blue injection (Dry System) has a NOx storage catalyst & DPF.
-Has no Adblue injection
-Meets BIN 8 emission level requirements

Location: Vancouver | Registered: November 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DPF did not come out until 07 so that is not a problem. I have looked at the engine and it is almost the same thing as the engine in my Jeep Liberty that now has more than 40k grease miles on SVO. I think that the Mercedes uses the same Bosch pump and same injectors. I find that the common rail is to large of a heat shink to run grease in so I heated the rail with an injection line heater this gets the temp higher than can be achieved with a FPHE (which is needed) or a Vegtherm. Both heat before the Common rail. The Mercedes discussion group would say your a insane to run bio in a 05 Mercedes. If I could purchase one I would convert it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maddasher,

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just put my E320 CDI on the road last month and made my first fill-up w/ B20 yesterday.

posted Hide Post
B20??? Come on!

posted Hide Post
PD - Too Funny Smile

I'll go to B50 max. next tank, wanted to ease into it..why I have no clue.

My brew is testing real good (water, soap, conversion) but after my PD TDI injectors went bad (replacing last one soon) I'm still hesitant.

I'm almost 100% convinced it was due to that one batch were water leaked into my storage tank.

Well, have you bought one of these monsters yet?

posted Hide Post
I drive a long way maybe 70k miles a year or more between my wife and me she has an 06 Jeep Liberty CRD so Biodiesel does not work. So I converted my 05 Mercedes E320 CDI to run on SVO. I have all of the equipment for filtering. Tanks and Centrifuge I have nice clean oil.

I installed a 36 gallon 2nd tank in the trunk with fittings on the bottom that go to a FPHE. Tank is coolant heated. The FPHE is mounted under the drivers side headlight. Also under the headlight is a coolant wrapped filter mounted upsidedown. Feeding that is a Ford Powerstroke fuel pump. I have 3 greasecar switches. One for fuel sellection. The 2nd for fuel return and the 3rd for diesel return to tank when in veg mode, i.e. the diesel pump never turns off it just returns to the diesel tank in a loop. The Common rail is heated with an injection line heater and extra hydralic repair tape (silicon). There are 3 fuse adaptors. One for the Common rail heater that is always on. The second for the fuel pump and the third for the switches. Mounted on the drivers seat are two switches one for the fuel pump and one for the switches. The fuel pump gets turned on first then I flip the switch to switch fuels. So far I am at about 1500 miles and going great.

I upgraded my Mercedes by 20 years last one was an 85 the 05 in much nicer.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

ImageIMG-20120818-00065.jpg (42 Kb, 16 downloads)

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I upgraded my Mercedes by 20 years last one was an 85 the 05 is much nicer.

Hey maddasher glad to see you are moving on up! LOL. sounds like a nice set-up, We may have to stop on by this winter and check it out. Is your MPG still a bit down on the 05 mercedes on wvo?

97 powerstroke wvo two tank hih heated filter mallory fi110 veg pump looped return on veg
02 vw jetta two tank hih davco filter greace car suply& retun valve webasto parking heater(block heater)
home heated with wvo clean burn drip heater as of 10/01/12 drip heater in storage. Low WVO supply, back to burning wood.

posted Hide Post
I lose a few mpg on veg compared to diesel. But that is fine. You are welcome for a winter vaction in Florida. I fixed my storage tank, turns out the cap was vented and rain water was getting in just i drops. So I silicon sealed it and believe I fixed the problem.

Robert

posted Hide Post
I've had my 2005 e320 cdi for about a year now. This past spring thru fall I ran b199, purchased from a bio diesel plant, in my benz, semi regularly. I travel long distances for work, so didn't always have access to b99. Between May and Sept I would say 75% of the time it ran on b99.
No issues on the fuel, but damn, the dealer is expensive to have car worked on, nothing related to biod though

2006 jetta tdi
1996 dodge 2500 5.9 12 valve

Location: central va | Registered: April 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If interested, I own a 96 dodge 5.9L 12 valve that I put a 275 gl tank in bed and pick up biod from plant, 70 miles from home. than pump into both vehicles.

2006 jetta tdi
1996 dodge 2500 5.9 12 valve

Location: central va | Registered: April 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post