BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Mercedes    2007 Sprinter - want to run on B100

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2007 Sprinter - want to run on B100
 Login/Join

posted
We just recently purchased a 2007 Sprinter van with a CRD. I have been researching what I need to do to run this vehicle on B100 or at least B50.
I know I need to reprogram the ECU to delete the DPF and perhaps the EGR. I can get the necessary equipment for the reprogram.
But what about the rest of the engine/fuel system?
Has anyone had any experience running a 2007 and up Sprinter on Biodiesel?

BTW, I have been making Biodiesel for 6+ years and have run by 2005 F350 on B100 for 80,000 miles.

TIA,
Robert

The smell of my exhaust makes me hungry!
www.rwtbiodiesel.com

Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is this working out for you? I would love having one of these vans. Arguably the best built van on the planet.

Dave

84 MB 300D Turbo Diesel
98.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9
96 B7100 Kubota

Location: leavittsburg,Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is slow going. I am having difficulty finding anyone who has successfully run on B100 that is willing to converse about it. I know there is an outfit in California that runs a fleet of Sprinters on B100 but I have not corresponded with them at this point.
We picked up a spare fule filter this morning so we are going to run it on B20 for a while and see how that goes. I stlll need to take the cover off the engine to get an idea of fuel line length so I can order some biodiesel friendly lines.

www.rwtbiodiesel.com

Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, any updates on getting a newer Sprinter working on SVO? Getting the sprinter on vegtable oil would please me immensely!

posted Hide Post
We are still working on getting the Sprinter set up for biodiesel. I have modified the DPF and will be uploading a tune from customspooling tomorrow. The tune deletes the DPF and EGR so there should not be any issues with bio d in the oil.

I still have been unable to come up with any good info on other issues. Most notable wether or not I need to upgrade the fuel lines.

Running a Mercedes 3.0 on SVO is not in the realm of possibilty IMHO, due to the Bosch injector setup.

www.rwtbiodiesel.com

posted Hide Post
I have 20k SVO miles on my 05 Mercedes CDI with a Bosch pump. I have no DPF. That is not as impressive as my wifes Jeep Liberty CRD a 2006 model with a Bosch injector pump. Both have high pressure injectors. Both vehicles were purchased because they were newer body styles WITHOUT DPF's.

The 5 cylinder is probably the way to go for SVO conversion.

I am 99% convinced that there is no way Meredes puts none biodiesel compatible hose in a commerical vehicle that is avaible the world over. In some of the EU countries they run B20 as the diesel fuel that is available.

Just my .02 cents and I never really have proof, just practice.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've run B100 in my '05 Jeep Liberty 2.8l CRD for six summers. I seriously doubt you'll have any problems with fuel lines etc on the Sprinter. As long as you have disabled the DPF regeneration you should be in good shape. Just make sure your fuel is free of soap and water. Great vehicle. Best of luck to you.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it matters to you. I own a 2008 Mercedes 320 TDI GL. I have run B50 to B100 thru this for two years now. I live in Mn so I run regular fuel thru the winter months. I am already up to B80 now.
It probably is not the same engine as the sprinter but Mercedes does build good fuel systems.
I have been processing my own bio-diesel for three years now. I take my time and make good quality fuel.

I also own and operate on bio fuel:

2008 Ford F250 4x4 crew cab
bobcat toolcat loader
Kohler KW33 gen set

Location: st cloud, MN | Registered: August 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
130,000 miles on my 2005 Sprinter and no fuel related issues. All fuel lines are original. I run b-100 from April through October.

Location: NJ | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how is this idea of running the 07 Sprinter?

I have a 2015 sprinter and I need to work out how to run B100.
I doubt an issue with the lines compatability...
I need to learn how to delete the DPF...
I need to find a source of B100 (Quebec, Ontario, Canada)
I need to start sourcing my own BD when I can find partners willing to set up a production line.

What else don;t I know?

Mark

Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post