BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Mercedes    84 190D low on power when warm?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

84 190D low on power when warm?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 1984 190D with about 150,000 miles. It has been running good for me until about a week ago when it started to loss power and shut off at stops (unless I keep feathering the throttle). When it is cool it starts right up and runs fine however once I get about 15-20 miles away it starts to loss power pretty bad.

So far I have:

1) Pulled fuel tank and strainer and cleaned (it was already pretty clean)
2) Blow out fuel line and installed new primary and secondary filters
3) Installed vacuum gage between filter and lift-pump (pulls 5" H2O)
4) Pulled off lift-pump to pump by hand (seemed fine)
5) Installed clear fuel line to make sure there is no air in the fuel
- There originally was some air and probably has been for a long time
6) I installed an electric boost pump just to make sure injection pump gets enough fuel

Now for the weird thing, it has the same symptoms running on WVO but it runs much better on oil than on diesel. The car will bearly even run on diesel but I can at least drive it home on oil and ALMOST get up to the speed limits of the road. I am running a two tank set-up with my oil temps running at 165F out of my FPHE. Oil has always been filtered to two microns and I've been running it with no problems for about 25,000 miles.

Whatever is happening seems to be temperature dependant. Next I plan to check timing and pull injectors to visually inspect and do a compression check. My fear is the injection pump plungers are starting so seeze when warm or something like that.

If you have any thoughts are advise please let me know and I'll be providing updates as I check more things.

Also, does anyone have the PDF dealer manual for this car. I get it from here: http://web.archive.org/web/200....com/201_Chassis.htm but the fuel system link is down...

Thanks in advance for the help...

posted Hide Post
It sounds like you still have an air leak. They are very common, worse on D2, and worse when warmed up. Put a clear hose or inline filter on the return line near the IP to check.

A fuel pressure guage just before the IP would help you far more than a vacuum guage.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put clear hose on the return and did not see any air...

Can anyone tell me what the flow rate FROM the injection pump and also the injectors should be?

I had almost nothing coming from the injector returns and pretty low flow from the pump but flow non-the-less. Just would like to know if there is a spec or even a rule-of-thumb on this?

Thanks...

posted Hide Post
The volume of a liquid increases with temperature, thus the desnity decreases. As you heat the oil the energy density goes down. This could be part of the issue, but it sounds like you have a bigger problem somewhere. If this is a new problem, then the issue is something else.

Location: CO, CA, KS, or FL | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi, I do not have the ansewer, but I an considering buying 1985 Mercedes 190 D. would anyone recommend or discourage me from buying this model. has 150,000 but the price is rite