BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Mercedes    2003 Sprinter Primary Fuel Filter Installation

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Sprinter Primary Fuel Filter Installation
 Login/Join

posted
Is it advisable to heat the fuel filter when running B100?

Here's the background.

I'm planning to start running B100 in my 2003 Freightliner Sprinter RV, which has the Mercedes OM612 5-cylinder 154 HP diesel engine. I plan to travel cross-country, buying commercial B100 where available. TO guard against fuel contamination, I'm considering installing a larger primary fuel filter, upstream of the engine-mounted filter.

I've read that heating the fuel filter will improve its effectiveness with biodiesel. Racor's website recommended coolant heat and 200W of electrical heat, with at least double the regular flow rating.

The filter I'm considering is filter, which was designed for WVO applications.

My plans are to stay in relatively warm weather (above freezing), but colder operation might occur. I'm open to reducing the blend during those periods.

So, would it be useful to add coolant and/or electric heat to the new filter, or would the basic filter be satisfactory?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Jerry S.
2003 Freightliner Sprinter
South Florida