BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Energy Options  Hop To Forums  General Energy Discussion    Giant Magnifying Glass?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giant Magnifying Glass?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm sure there's something out there like this already.

(Simplified Idea)

A Giant Magnifying Glass dircted at a giant copper or other heat transfering metal that has water ran over to produce Steam that turns turbines.

Or a smaller "Personal" Version?

~Troy~

Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will say, BE CAREFUL if you buy a giant Fresnel lens. The flat magnifiers are Fresnel lenses. I got one that's 18"x30" and took it outside to "play" with it, and I leaned it against a tree while I got some burnable stuff together in a pile. When I turned around, the mulch under the tree was on fire. NOT smoking, but FLAMES. You also MUST have welding goggles or a welding mask to use it. The Sun has a LOT of horsepower.

1985 Mercedes 300D, sold, Heat exchanger and injector line heaters, all single tank. 1997 E300D Benz ... biodiesel.

Location: Cocoa Beach FL | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.K. Hosken:
The Sun has a LOT of horsepower.

Think really BIG horse...

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the biggest problem with solar power is tracking the sun.. even photoelectric panels only peak once a day when the angle to the sun is least.

A lens is going to be even more of a problem.. They make solar boilers but they use mirrors for it instead of lenses.. The one I saw a photo of was a central tower and it had mirrors all the way around it that focused all their light on the top of the tower.. It heated water.. It was a big machine..

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Name that movie.. Sahara i think it was.
That Dr. Jones wannabee movie
Features a plant like you describe, only it was suppose to burn chemical waste (in the movie that is)

might be the plant you're talking about?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Troy Brenningmeyer:
I'm sure there's something out there like this already.

(Simplified Idea)

A Giant Magnifying Glass dircted at a giant copper or other heat transfering metal that has water ran over to produce Steam that turns turbines.

Or a smaller "Personal" Version?

~Troy~

Location: West Blocton, Alabama | Registered: October 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This links to one fresnell based solar concentrator, click "technology".

There is lots of discussion and info about this unit being developed by Charles Shults.

Do a general web search for "solar concentrators" to see differant types, mirror lens and trough concentrators seem to be more popular with do-it-yourselfers.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home version

The Light Sharpener

Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here http://www.junkyardsolar.com/

Personaly I would use an old dish for a concentrator since most of what you need is all ready built and (this is the best part) you can pick them up for next to nothing. I use the mount hinge and actuator for moving my array and got the solar tracker for it from here. It cost 40 bucks and runs the exsisting actuator just fine

12 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Troy

Troy this idea has been implemented in Dubai and US already, the setups are huge, and it has started producing electricity also. i saw it on discovery