BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Energy Options  Hop To Forums  General Energy Discussion    'Cracking' used motor oil to make diesel alternative?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Cracking' used motor oil to make diesel alternative?
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone heard about this? I was talking to a member at the fish & game club I belong to. He claims he takes used motor oil and blends it with some ingredient that costs .75 gallon to produce and burns it in his home furnace and his GMC diesel van. The exhaust smelled like a heavy diesel equipment running- kind of oily smell.

He was being very evasive about it, wouldn't even tell me the ingredient just that he found out about it in some farm magazine and he's been running it for almost a year. I couldnt find anything online about it.

posted Hide Post
It's a bit like distillation. Heat used engine oil until it smokes, then condense it into a liquid. Smelly, high temperatures, and toxic ash as a waste product. But it may make a good diesel fuel.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, he claimed it was mixing it with something not high heat.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by freesoul:
Then he's got some vegetable oil/gasoline/kerosene blended with WMO....and probably the secrete deezel snake oil.

"Cracking" is a high temperature process.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then he's not cracking it. He'll be diluting it with some hydrocarbon thinner like toluene or something and filtering it. Possibly low grade cellulose paint thinners they use for washing out spray guns in body shops.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean salt cracking.I've heard that works with salt rock and drill motor mixer.They offered it for wvo,but I tasted the result and it was salty.Old engine and trans oil might be different.

126 diesels yahoo groups
83 SD straight exhaust 94 Cobra
Cold air,real cold.Cobra electric radiator fan,Monark nozzles,10 psi electric fuel pump.85 amp alternator 12" subs.23 psi boost, 30 micron filter,an 5 micron filter added
2 tank,wvo,boost guage ,line heaters,coolant heater Fattywagons customer. 99 S320 with 75 more hp.

Location: Bristol Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Google Lindsay Williams. Someone on this board doesn't like that name since the correct spelling, with an 'sey' versus 'say' brings up an 'admin approval' page. Within a day or two the incorrect spelling of Lindsay will probably also be flagged so expect these posts to 'disappear'. Try it yourself. Yes I am posting this to a bunch of pages since I smell a big fat rat!!! Google Lindsay Williams!!!

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone heard about this? I was talking to a member at the fish & game club I belong to. He claims he takes used motor oil and blends it with some ingredient that costs .75 gallon to produce and burns it in his home furnace and his GMC diesel van. The exhaust smelled like a heavy diesel equipment running- kind of oily smell.

He was being very evasive about it, wouldn't even tell me the ingredient just that he found out about it in some farm magazine and he's been running it for almost a year. I couldnt find anything online about it.

Now I am considering the possibility of converting used motor oil to a diesel fuel after seeing it on a website but I do have a lot of question in mind.. Could this clog fuel filters and injectors? I’ve read that the impurities from brake fluid and chips of steel/metal could kill your engine controls.. The heavy diesel equipment running oily smell from the exhaust could be a sign of exhaust and engine problems...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AR,

posted Hide Post
If you are sure the used motor oil does not contain anything harmefull like antifreeze or brake fluid all that is needed is to filter it well and blend it with diesel and/or RUG, some folks are using 20% rug only. THIS LINKS TO a discussion about blending Used Motor OIl as fuel.

Another discussion about used motor oil.

And another discussion.

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post