Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

powering my house
 Login/Join

posted
i have used 100 percent wvo in my trucks for 6 years going alright. now i am looking into trying to lower my power bill by using wvo or any other alternatives whats the best way to go with out spending a lot of cash? how do i wire it into my power box?

Question:
whats the cheapest way to go? how do i wire it up to the power box

Choices:
dsdss
sddsd

Location: dundee | Registered: June 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

There are a number of ways you can lower your electric bill, and could also heat and cool your home. There are a number of ways to make your own fuel for a generator that could lower your energy bills.

I'm working on as such right now. Depending how resourceful you are, the project will require a little or a lot of money. I presently have a Kubota D600 3 cyl diesel engine I purchased for $400. The 5HP induction motor was $35. I plan on using WVO only, so that will be free. The engine needs a couple more parts, then I'm golden...sorta. Once completed, my electric bill will drop $300+ in the cooling months, and drop $150 in the heating months.

But there are other costs associated, such as proper wiring to meet local electrical codes, safety devices to ensure that your generator does not back feed the utility grid when the utility power fails and electrocute the linemen working on the lines.

But if you are serious, have a look around on the web for grid-tie power generation and Combined Heat and Power (CHP).

Location: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: September 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are generating with an induction motor you don't need any saftey devices to stop backfeeding. The Field windings in the motor will be excited by the grid current and if the grid collapses so will he field and the motor will stop generating.

I also think that electrocuting linemen thing is a bit of a Myth. They would have to be virtually outside your house to get zapped because when the grid went down suddenly every appliance drawing power on your block and beyond would all instantly want to suck the power from your Genny.
It would be like tying a mile of cars on a road to one rope and attaching that rope to one truck and expecting it to pull the lot up a mountain. The thing would come to a stop almost instantly or in this case, trip the breaker so it wouldn't be sending power anywhere.

If you run an induction motor as a standalone generator in a C2C config it will also drop out before it overloads.
I have a 7.5 Hp motor I have run as a backfeed to the grid, as a stand alone in C2C and as a rotary Phase converter. All works well with a couple of Chinese Single Diesels I have.

posted Hide Post
so how would i wire my diesel generator into my electrical box with out blowing anything up or on fire. would not be a huge generator just a small around 5000 watts just to get me start saving some cash then i will get bigger over time. thanks

aaron number 1 delivery driver

Location: dundee | Registered: June 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most power companies require a grid tie inverter/isolation, otherwise they believe your gen-set could energize a section of line and harm someone working on what they thought was a dead circuit. Whether the concern is valid or not means nothing if that's what the power company requires to tie to their grid.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post