BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Energy Options  Hop To Forums  General Energy Discussion    Solar Power Generator

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Power Generator
 Login/Join

posted
Hello guys in biodiesel forum,

Why do people are not in favor in alternative energies like solar power generator which I've seen in http://www.sunpowerport.com, solar panels, wind powers and other alternative energies. Can I know your ideas about it?

posted Hide Post
Which people do you believe are not in favor of alternative energies like solar power generators?

For most people it's much cheaper to buy from the grid instead of producing their own electricity.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey I'm all for it. I just can't afford it.

Alvin
'01 F250 7.3 4x4 Lariat Crew
'95 Mercedes Benz E300 D

Location: Seattle | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think dexter is advertising his product, but the link doesn't work Ha Ha.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting product (after you take the extra comma out of the link).

Integrated charge controller, battery, & solar panel, all in a convenient suitcase.

I suppose the big question is what the actual application will be.

It doesn't look like something I'd take backpacking unless I was very desperate.

For the occasional "road-trip", I just use an inverter.

It might be nice for a picnic, or perhaps for a college student wanting to study outside, but I have so much problem with sun glare, and it is expensive for such a narrow niche.

As far as putting a dent in the power consumption in a person's house or workshop... a little suitcase device won't make any difference.

-------------

Now, to the question.

WHY DON'T more people use solar/wind/etc.

That would be complicated.

It is expensive to setup.

For "on-grid", one might be able to approach a "set it and forget it" mode. For off grid applications, that isn't practical at this time.

And in a society where 9/10 people don't even change their oil. People don't want to worry about their battery health, or every watt of energy consumption. Ever see a house with a TV running while the owner is gone? Leave your computer on at night so you don't have to wait a couple of minutes for it to reboot in the morning?

Furthermore there are big impediments to converting to 100% solar.

For example, here in the Northwest, many houses use electricity as the primary energy source.

Heating/Hot Water/Stove/Microwave/etc.

While we can live without air conditioning in Oregon, there are many places in the USA where cooling is important.

In Oregon, we have enough clouds in the winter that solar just won't cut it as a primary heating source.

I suppose one could cut the power lines and bring in a propane tank. Is that better?

Obviously wood is a wonderful heat source when it is available. But... how many people are ready to shut down their microwave to replace it with a wood stove?

Wind would be great. But that depends on actually having wind. And, it still comes and goes.

Now, I believe that every house in Kansas and Nebraska should have a personal wind turbine in the back yard. But that may not be practical or even safe in the cities.

And, do you want all those people who can't change the oil in their car building "home-brew" generators?

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post