I hope that this was not already covered as I did search for it.
The question in my subject is one posed to me after doing several acid/base batches with a 90% great turn out. I had made one bad test batch by calculating methanol wrong, and leaving too much water in the oil.
In a conversation with a bio enthusiast recently I was asked if the use of Sulfuric Acid raises the amount of Sulfur in Biodiesel for the sake of an ASTM test.
As you can imagine, this question came from a small commercial outlet that relies on ASTM standards to sell biodiesl. I realize this is a forum for home brewers, but I cannot help tapping in to the great biodiesel minds on this forum.
I hope the compliment outweighs any offense one would take by introducing a commercial question into a homebrew forum.
As far as I understand it, no the Sulfur content is not increased using Estrification. The Acid used is purely a catalyst which is not consumed in the estrification process. Any acid used is neutralized to it's corresponding salt during the proceeding base stage that follows estrification.
The sulfur should be either decanted with the byproduct or washed out. If done properly, none should remain in the fuel. There are a number of BioPro users who've esterified with Sulfuric as part of their process and have passed the ASTM tests.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."
|Powered by Social Strata|