Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K2SO4
 Login/Join

posted
Just a quick question to you AE guys out there. Does anyone do anything with the salt produced? Is there an industry that uses this salt? Seems fairly easy to separate but not sure what to do with it. Landfill doesn't seem very responsible.

posted Hide Post
That's fertilizer farmers call it sulfate of potash.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup that one I knew thanks. Would be great if I could sell it back to the guy that makes the H2SO4 and KOH, though.

posted Hide Post
Potassium phosphate is much more valuable as a fertiliser. You use phosphoric acid instead of sulphuric.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the problem with that is finding phosphoric acid strong enough to do the acid esterfication. I don't think you can get phosphoric in the 95+% range.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jehu:
Potassium phosphate is much more valuable as a fertiliser. You use phosphoric acid instead of sulphuric.

Have you esterified using phosporic acid? Or were you recommending phosphoric to neutralize the glycerin and split the FFA's?

Location: CO, CA, KS, or FL | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
helpinghand..
ditto on your question..

using phosphoric acid for the AE doesn't get you too the K2SO4....where does the SO4 come from.

but if KOH is used during the base stages..and H2S04 on the glycerin..yep you get K2S04..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post